[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3.5" disks

dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) (01/22/89)

How popular is the 720k format for 3.5" disks?  Would it be worth my
while to get a 3.5" drive, considering that my current drive
controller won't handle anything more than 720k on one of 'em?

Doug.deJ

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (01/23/89)

In article <8XqJz8y00WB8N7e10q@andrew.cmu.edu> dd26+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas F. DeJulio) writes:
>How popular is the 720k format for 3.5" disks?  Would it be worth my
>while to get a 3.5" drive, considering that my current drive
>controller won't handle anything more than 720k on one of 'em?

The 720K format is quite popular.  Most laptops as well as all of the IBM
PS/2 models use it.  The larger PS/2s (30-286 on up) also support 1.44MB
disks, but I use 720K on my model 50 for several reasons:

 - It works reliably.  Unlike the 360K - 1.2M fiasco, the track spacing on
	all 3.5" disks is the same so 1.44M drives format and write disks
	correctly.

 - It is more compatible.  My wife has a Zenith laptop with a 720K drive, and
	I have an old XT to which I added a 720K drive.  Now all three machines
	can exchange disks.

 - It's a lot cheaper.  720K disks run about $1.25, 1.44M disks about $5.00.
	Stupid but true.

Any DOS software you buy on 3.5" disks is in 720K format.  I find that the
$100 I spent for the 3.5" drive was well worth it, since now my 5.25" disks
are up on the shelf and I use mostly smaller more capacious disks that don't
fill up with dust if dropped on the floor and don't need those silly paper
jackets.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something