[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Monochrome VGA Graphics Card for PC

lucb@kulcs.uucp (Luc Bomans) (01/17/89)

Hey,

My brother in law has bought an IBM XT/286 (probably one of the
last IBM PC's sold in Belgium). The PC was delivered with an
VGA adapter and a monochrome IBM 8503 display (I am not completely
sure of that number, but it is the standard PS/2 monochrome screen).

Running MS-Word we discovered that it is impossible to use the
graphics mode of Word. This is now agreed by the IBM dealer. The
card placed in the computer is not able to use the 8503 screen in
graphics mode !

My question is if this is really possible (I don't know the brand
name of the adapter) and if there exist other VGA adapters that can
use the 8503 screen in graphics mode (Please clearly specify the
brand name, so that we can push the dealer to provide us with a
working VGA adapter).

For my own I have the following question: I have a PC/AT clone
equipped with a multi I/O card. This card has two clocks which
are both disabled.
I am able to set the system board's clock. But after the system
has been down for some time the clock is not correct anymore. Is the
problem with my AT system board and/or battery? How can I test this?
Or is the problem with the combination AT-MultiI/O card ?

Thank you for all the answers (if any :-)).

Luc Bomans		   	mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
E-mail: lucb@kulcs.UUCP  	      Dept. Computer Science
        ... mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!lucb    Celestijnenlaan 200 A
        lucb@BLEKUL60.BITNET          B-3030 Leuven - Belgium
	lucb@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Tel: +32 16 200656 x 3546	Fax: +32 16 205308

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (01/19/89)

In article <145@icarus.kulcs.uucp>, lucb@kulcs.uucp (Luc Bomans) writes:
> Hey,
>
> My brother in law has bought an IBM XT/286 (probably one of the
> last IBM PC's sold in Belgium). The PC was delivered with an
> VGA adapter and a monochrome IBM 8503 display (I am not completely
> sure of that number, but it is the standard PS/2 monochrome screen).
>
> Running MS-Word we discovered that it is impossible to use the
> graphics mode of Word. This is now agreed by the IBM dealer. The
> card placed in the computer is not able to use the 8503 screen in
> graphics mode !

Should have bought an STB video card for it (;^)...

> My question is if this is really possible (I don't know the brand
> name of the adapter) and if there exist other VGA adapters that can
> use the 8503 screen in graphics mode (Please clearly specify the
> brand name, so that we can push the dealer to provide us with a
> working VGA adapter).

Actually, I think any VGA should switch back and forth between color
and monochrome modes with the right utility programs.  You can use
IBM DOS 3.3 or 4.0 and the "mode" command can switch from the normal
boot up monochrome state to a "color" state and back -- just like you
were using two different monitors.  If he balks at that, send me a note
and I will mail you a copy of STB's "setmode" utility that will do the
same thing.  Just be aware it also does some STB-unique stuff, and if
you select the wrong function you may lock up the machine (.BAT files
solve that problem marvelously though...).

> Thank you for all the answers (if any :-)).

You're very welcome (I though the question was a very valid one).

> Luc Bomans		   	mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
> E-mail: lucb@kulcs.UUCP  	      Dept. Computer Science
>         ... mcvax!prlb2!kulcs!lucb    Celestijnenlaan 200 A
>         lucb@BLEKUL60.BITNET          B-3030 Leuven - Belgium
> 	lucb@cs.kuleuven.ac.be
> Tel: +32 16 200656 x 3546	Fax: +32 16 205308

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (01/19/89)

  Sorry for the double posting, but I forgot to say why you want to
be in color mode:  graphics modes (640x480 and 320x200-64 or 256 color
modes, that is) are available only if the monitor and adapter are being
used in a "color" mode (grey scale, if the monitor is really monochrome).

Charles

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/20/89)

In article <145@icarus.kulcs.uucp., lucb@kulcs.uucp (Luc Bomans) writes:
.
. Hey,
.
. My brother in law has bought an IBM XT/286 (probably one of the
. last IBM PC's sold in Belgium). The PC was delivered with an
. VGA adapter and a monochrome IBM 8503 display (I am not completely
. sure of that number, but it is the standard PS/2 monochrome screen).
.
. Running MS-Word we discovered that it is impossible to use the
. graphics mode of Word. This is now agreed by the IBM dealer. The
. card placed in the computer is not able to use the 8503 screen in
. graphics mode !

There's a little trick to using Microsoft Word with VGA -- you need
to add the following line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

SET VGA=TRUE

Otherwise it assumes that you are using an EGA card, and the results
are not pretty, or even useable.

. Luc Bomans		   	mail: Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

jpdres13@usl-pc.usl.edu (Joubert John V) (01/23/89)

---------

I use Video Seven's Fastwrite 16 bit VGA card and it runs Hercules, CGA, VGA,
and MCGA just fine on my Imtec (no laughing!!!) analog mono monitor in
64 shades of grey.