[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PostScript Interpreter for the PC

poc@mhuxu.UUCP (Paul O'Connor) (01/04/89)

	A product called "GoScript" is being advertised in PC
magazines. Sold by LaserGo, Inc., it purports to be a PostScript
interpreter for the PC that can output to dotmatrix and laser
printers. Anybody have any information or experience with this?

				Paul O'Connor
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Reading, PA
				mhuxu!poc

mms%sordid@Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) (01/05/89)

In article <8904@mhuxu.UUCP> poc@mhuxu.UUCP (Paul O'Connor) writes:
>*>
>*>
>*> 	A product called "GoScript" is being advertised in PC
>*> magazines. Sold by LaserGo, Inc., it purports to be a PostScript
>*> interpreter for the PC that can output to dotmatrix and laser
>*> printers. Anybody have any information or experience with this?
>*>
>*> 				Paul O'Connor
>*> 				AT&T Bell Labs
>*> 				Reading, PA
>*> 				mhuxu!poc

I have this product and have used it successfully to print Postscript
output from various desktop publishers on my Epson LQ. The results
are quite acceptable for a dot matrix printer; do not delude yourself
into thinking that you will get laser quality on the cheap.

The most serious drawback is the speed (or lack thereof). On my 286
machine, Norton SI rated at 11.5 with a 39 msec disk, an average page
takes 40 minutes to print (no typo: I said FORTY minutes per page).
Reason: the product implements virtual memory on the disk to construct
the bitmap. The maker includes a few demo programs which run much
faster than this, but they are contrived.

If you do decide to buy it, here's a couple of tips regarding use with
an LQ printer like mine:

1. Use the 360x360 mode rather than 360x180, especially if you have
half tone graphics. The quality is noticeably better, and the additional
time is only about 5 minutes per page. For some reason, the manual
implies that there's a larger time penalty with 360x360.

2. Make sure that the paper feed to the printer is completely free
and smooth. Any binding or constriction causes raster lines to appear.
Even feeding from a tightly packed fanfold stack can cause this.

 *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*
 |    /\/\ike Silverstein    | This can't be deja vous. Things are more like  |
 | sun!mms -or- mms@sun.com  |  they are now than they've ever been before!   |
 *-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (01/05/89)

In article <83724@sun.uucp>, mms%sordid@Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein) writes...

]In article <8904@mhuxu.UUCP> poc@mhuxu.UUCP (Paul O'Connor) writes:
]>*>
]>*>
]>*> 	A product called "GoScript" is being advertised in PC
]>*> magazines. Sold by LaserGo, Inc., it purports to be a PostScript
]>*> interpreter for the PC that can output to dotmatrix and laser
]>*> printers.

]I have this product and have used it successfully to print Postscript
]output from various desktop publishers on my Epson LQ.

Is there a driver for Toshiba 321 (24-pin 360x360)?

]The most serious drawback is the speed (or lack thereof). On my 286
]machine, Norton SI rated at 11.5 with a 39 msec disk, an average page
]takes 40 minutes to print (no typo: I said FORTY minutes per page).
]Reason: the product implements virtual memory on the disk to construct
]the bitmap.

Would it work at all with RAM-disk, I wonder?  How much disk
space does it chew up?

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==ARPA: anderson@macc.wisc.edu========UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

bunda@cs.utexas.edu (John Bunda) (01/07/89)

I haven't tried it, but Ghostscript (available from the Free
Software Foundation, anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu)
is a PC postscript clone that you might want to investigate...

-John

John Bunda            UT CS Dept.
bunda@cs.utexas.edu   Austin, Texas

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (01/16/89)

poc@mhuxu.UUCP (Paul O'Connor) writes:
>	A product called "GoScript" is being advertised...
>... Anybody have any information or experience with this?

Only second hand. A colleague used it recently to provide a route between
Postscript and a general purpose raster image format. He was favourably
impressed, and, I think found only one relatively obscure Postscript
feature that it didn't cope with. (Sorry can't remember what).

I would be a bit wary though, the promotional literature was out of step
with the product we received (v1.something), and was obviously in a state
of flux.

It accepts Postscript input and sends bit image data directly to an output
port, i.e. it uses the bit-image graphics facilities of the printer,
whatever other features the printer may have. (My colleague had to use a
utility to intercept the port output so that he could reformat it as
required).
--
------------------- <mrh@camcon.co.uk>  or  <...!mcvax!ukc!idec!camcon!mrh>
|   Mark Hughes   | Tel: +44 (0) 223 420024   Cambridge Consultants Ltd.
|(Compware . CCL) | Tlx: 931 211 0193 (KZ G)  The Science Park, Milton Road,
------------------- BT Gold: 72:MAG70076      Cambridge UK. (Own opinions etc.)

tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) (01/19/89)

The Free Software Foundation has a PostScript clone called GhostScript
which they are giving away.  (It is free for those with access to the
ARPAnet, and for a distribution fee if they to send you a tape.)  I
know nothing about it.  Perhaps somebody wants to port it to the PC.

Tim

smithj@marlin.NOSC.MIL (James Smith) (01/20/89)

The one feature _not_ supported by GoScript is the Postscript
'setscreen' command.

--
          Jim Smith              +-----------------------------------+
                                 | If we weren't crazy, we'd all go  |

In article <9147@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> tim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Timothy L. Kay) writes:

   The Free Software Foundation has a PostScript clone called GhostScript
   which they are giving away.  (It is free for those with access to the
   ARPAnet, and for a distribution fee if they to send you a tape.)  I
   know nothing about it.  Perhaps somebody wants to port it to the PC.

It already runs under MS-DOS driving the EGA.  Peter L. Deutsch (yes, that
Peter L. Deutsch) wrote it using Turbo C 1.5.  It doesn't compile under TC 2.0
because Borland changed the size of the difference between two far pointers
from an int to a long.

He has a really cute trick for compiling under Unix and MS-LOSS.  Take a look
at the makefile to see it.  It goes like this:

(DOS)
OBJ = obj
EXE = .exe

(Unix)
OBJ = o
EXE =

Try to guess what he does with these definitions.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
"I saved the whales!" - Rebecca L. Nelson, 3.5 years old, on receiving her

lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu (Lee Kolakowski) (01/20/89)

>It already runs under MS-DOS driving the EGA.  Peter L. Deutsch (yes, that
>Peter L. Deutsch) wrote it using Turbo C 1.5.  It doesn't compile under TC 2.0
>because Borland changed the size of the difference between two far pointers
>from an int to a long.

Perhaps the executables could be made available on some machine for
ftp access. I can't get the thing to compile.

--

Frank Kolakowski
|lfk@mbio.med.upenn.edu                         ||      Lee F. Kolakowski   |

>>The Free Software Foundation has a PostScript clone called GhostScript
>>which they are giving away.  (It is free for those with access to the
>>ARPAnet, and for a distribution fee if they to send you a tape.)

>It already runs under MS-DOS driving the EGA.  Peter L. Deutsch (yes, that
>Peter L. Deutsch) wrote it using Turbo C 1.5.

Oops!  I meant L. Peter Deutsch.  For those who have asked and/or
wondered, ghostscript.tar.Z is on prep.ai.mit.edu in the usual place,
and on nisc.nyser.net in pub/gnu.  The executable, compiled with TC 1.5
with floating point emulation, is on sun.soe.clarkson.edu in pub/pc as
gs.exe.  All via FTP, of course.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
"I saved the whales!" - Rebecca L. Nelson, 3.5 years old, on receiving her
Christmas present of a whale "adoption" certificate.  Bless her liberal heart.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (01/24/89)

Is there any way to print a screen to a PostScript printer?  Thanks.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334