[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT with last floppy memory

grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) (01/19/89)

One of the At's where I work "remember"s the last diskette inserted
into its drive. If I insert a diskette, do a DIR A:, change diskettes
and do another DIR A:, I will get a listing of the files on the
first diskette.  If I chkdsk (does this write out buffers?) between
changing diskettes, I get the correct directory listing the second
time.

Is anyone familiar with this phenomana?

Thanks in advance,

|Dennis Grinberg, Math & CS Department, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan ISRAEL|
|BITNET:   grinberg@bimacs.bitnet                                            |
|INTERNET: grinberg@bimacs.biu.ac.il
|CSNET:    grinberg%bimacs.bitnet%cunyvm.cuny.edu@csnet-relay                |
|ARPA:     grinberg%bimacs.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu                            |
|UUCP:     ...!uunet!mcvax!humus!bimacs!grinberg                             |
|SNAILNET: Dennis Grinberg, 13 Hava Lutzki St., Rehovot, ISRAEL              |

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) (01/21/89)

In article <768@bimacs.BITNET>, grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) writes:

    [verbage about DIR not sensing change of floppy disks]

    Yes, your symptom is familiar.  Someone [has|is] [used|using] an altered
[disk|os] on your AT, and your system now thinks that drive A: is a harddisk.
Watch out, this has cause data loss at a local college due to the directory
of the first disk being overwritten on the second.

    This symtom was first though to be a virus, but it was later detected
to be a students attempt to speed up floppy access by making the AT think
it was reading a harddisk (the directories of a hardisk are cached to
increase system response (that hard disk ain't going anywhere)).

--
Matthew Lee Stier     (919) 469-8300|
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27560|          "Wisconsin   Escapee"

var@pitstop.UUCP (Var Garapetian, Sun ECD Lumpyware) (01/21/89)

I think the problem you are seeing is a floppy controller incompatability
issue (or wrong jumpering of floppy controller). What happens is that when
you open the drive door to change the floppy, it fails to send a signal to
the BIOS, telling it that the disk was changed. So BIOS continues using the
info stored in ram buffers.

And here goes the usual disclaimer that says:
This are my opinions...I am only a stisfied customer...I AM... HUMAN!(EEEeee)
Var Garapetian,                 Sun Microsystems, East-Coast Div.

UUCP: {hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax,seismo}!sun!vgarapetian
 or   {decvax}!eagle_snax!garp!var

ARPA: vgarapetian@sun.com

jboot@morgoth.UUCP (Jim F. Roberts) (01/24/89)

In article <371@greens.UUCP>, matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun NCAA) writes:
> In article <768@bimacs.BITNET>, grinberg@bimacs.BITNET (Dennis Grinberg) writes:
>
>     [verbage about DIR not sensing change of floppy disks]
>

>     Yes, your symptom is familiar.  Someone [has|is] [used|using] an altered
> [disk|os] on your AT, and your system now thinks that drive A: is a harddisk.
> Watch out, this has cause data loss at a local college due to the directory
> of the first disk being overwritten on the second.

There is another possibility (Aren't there always).  I had the same
problem with a Toshiba 3.5" floppy drive I installed in a WYSE pc286.
According to the folk at Toshiba, the problem lies in the DISK CHANGE
status line.  No matter what jumper settings I used on the drive, the
WYSE would not notice a disk swap (other settings resulted in the
drive never being "ready").  The people at WYSE admitted the problem
was with our BIOS version, and offered to sell us a $50 upgrade (grumble).

I sent the origional poster the following quick fix suggestion:  Every
time you swap disks, type ^C at your DOS prompt.  On my set up, this
seems to tell the WYSE to reread the diskette's FAT, informing DOS of
the diskette change.  I've no idea if this is a generic fix, or is
specific to WYSEs, but it can't hurt to try it out.

--
LIVE:   Jim F. Roberts, (617) 969-0050
ARPA:	adelie!morgoth!jboot@harvard.HARVARD.EDU