[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telix and GNU Emacs - SUMMARY

draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Sir Dave of Wentworth) (01/24/89)

First I would like to thank all of the people who sent me email replys.
I logged in this morning and found around 10 of them. It's nice to know
that you can get help and inofrmation when you need it. Now on to the
good stuff.

Original problem:

>I have recently started using Telix version 3.11 as a communication
>program. I have noticed a problem using the vt102 emulation and
>GNU Emacs.
>
>Problem: When using ^b to move backwards through text the display
>is erased as you move. The characters ARE NOT deleted. A simple ^l
>to refresh the screen shows that they are still there. The commands
>for moving forward, ^f, and for moving to the next and previous line
>appear to work correctly. In other words the display is not erased.
>
>Question: Is this normal operation or is something wrong?

I will not bother to include each reply since they were all basically the
same. The problem lies with how Telix treats incoming backspaces and
how the Telix configuration is set up. If Telix receives incoming backspaces
as destructive you experience the above problem. If Telix receives incoming
backspaces as non-destructive everything seems to work fine. Here is a
little problem that I noticed and how it affected me. By pressing the
alt-o keys while in Telix this brings you into the 'Configure Telix'
menu. There you can select the 'Terminal options' and set the incoming
backspaces as non-destructive. This is what I originally did and it did
not work. What Telix was doing was reading the configuration of the
dialing entry and using that to overide the default settings. I was
unware that I had set the incoming backspaces to destructive in the
dialing entry. To cure that problem bring up the dialing directory using
alt-d and then select the entry that needs to be corrected. Then set the
menu on the bottom of the screen to 'edit' and set the incoming
backspaces to the correct setting. Save the entry and you should be all
set.

Once again thanks to all those who sent replys.

Dave

Dave Draper                        Boston University Corporate Education Center
UUCP: decvax!elrond!bu-tyng!draper         72 Tyng Road,  Tyngsboro   MA  01879
Internet: draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu                              (508) 649-9731 x14

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.cp
Subject: Telix and GNU Emacs - SUMMARY
Expires: