[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accelerator Boards

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (01/20/89)

Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with accelerator cards on
either 8088 or 80286 machines?  Do I have to use faster RAM than the
board had on it to start with?  Can I really expect the speedup
the ads say?  I have a 286 clone I'd like to boost a little as well as
an 8088-2 XT clone that could use a little shot in the arm too.

Thanks so much.  Warren
Warren Harrison                 CSNET: warren@pdx.edu
Department of Computer Science  UUCP:  {ucbvax,decvax}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren
Portland State University       Internet: warren%pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
Portland, OR 97207-0751

py@geac.UUCP (Peter Yeung) (01/25/89)

In article <1531@psu-cs.UUCP> warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) writes:
>Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with accelerator cards on
>either 8088 or 80286 machines?  Do I have to use faster RAM than the
>board had on it to start with?  Can I really expect the speedup
>the ads say?  I have a 286 clone I'd like to boost a little as well as
>an 8088-2 XT clone that could use a little shot in the arm too.

I tried to email but it was bounced. Therefore I posted my reply here...

-----------------------

I am using a BreakThru-286 card in my XT clone. You do not have to upgrade
anything to use that card since it uses a 16K cache to cache your standard
memory. The only catch is that it only works in the standard speed (i.e.
4.77 MHz). If you have a 'turbo' motherboard, you have to jump it to boot at
the standard clock rate.

I have the 8MHz version and switch the 16MHz xtal to a 20MHz
xtal to make it runs at 10MHz without any problems. Almost all benchmarks
I tried reported that it runs faster than a 8MHz AT (typically 10% faster).
The card is very reliable and there is no problem with compatibility except
with programs using timing loops (those programs won't work in ant 10MHz 286
boxes anyway).

Regards!

PY

--