[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telix and GNU Emacs

draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Sir Dave of Wentworth) (01/23/89)

I have recently started using Telix version 3.11 as a communication
program. I have noticed a problem using the vt102 emulation and
GNU Emacs.

Problem: When using ^b to move backwards through text the display
is erased as you move. The characters ARE NOT deleted. A simple ^l
to refresh the screen shows that they are still there. The commands
for moving forward, ^f, and for moving to the next and previous line
appear to work correctly. In other words the display is not erased.

Question: Is this normal operation or is something wrong?

Additional Information: Telix has been installed according to the
manual with the following settings: vt102 emualtion with the BS key
sends set to DEL. I have tried this option set both both ways, BS and
DEL, and it makes no difference. Communications set for 2400 N81 FDX.
The Rcvd BS has been tried at destructive and non-destructive. This
makes no difference either. I have also tried normal screen write and
screen writes using BIOS. Once again it makes no difference.
The machine I am hooked up to is running BSD 4.2 and the version of
GNU Emacs is 18.xx . There are no strange key-maps or anything like
that in my .emacsrc file. I previously used Procomm 2.4.2 with
vt100 emulation and never had any problems.

Any help and or suggestions would be appreciated. All responses sent
via email will be summarized and posted. Thanks in advance!

Dave

Dave Draper                        Boston University Corporate Education Center
UUCP: decvax!elrond!bu-tyng!draper         72 Tyng Road,  Tyngsboro   MA  01879
Internet: draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu                              (508) 649-9731 x14

billp@scr1.UUCP (01/25/89)

In article <400@bu-tyng.bu.edu>, draper@bu-tyng.UUCP writes:
> I have recently started using Telix version 3.11 as a communication
> program. I have noticed a problem using the vt102 emulation and
> GNU Emacs.

 a number of lines describing how cursor left would cause the
characters to drop out under Emacs.

I've had the same problem with vi on a Stride 68000 micro in NYC.
Switching to my office Unix machine fixed the problem.  Perhaps
it's termcap?

Also, try MS-Kermit.  I've found no bugs in it's VT102 emulation
running against VMS, sysV and 4.2bsd.

(I'm entering this from Telix at 9600 baud on vi)

I am also forwarding the Telix related messages to the author as often
as possible.

Bill Pechter, 103 Governors Road, Lakewood New Jersey  08701
Concurrent Computer (201)870-4780 / (201) 370-0709 Evenings EST