[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TC 2.0 Pros/Cons

schanck@salmon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (01/15/89)

There has been a lot of discussion of the TC debuggers, integrated and
standalone, some of it started by me. Regardless, as a user of TC
since 1.0, I have a healthy respect for it as a compiler. Currently I
am using version 1.5, and I can get 2.0 for $50 through OSU (can't get
the debugger on an educational discount, boo hiss!). What I want to
know is could someone(s) post a convincing reason or set of reasons
for me to upgrade to 2.0; remember, all I really care about is the
compiler. My system is an 8088 (ok, it's a V20) with a hard drive, and
a CGA card. So convince me! :-)

Thanks,

Chris

-=-
"My brain is NOT a deadlock-free environment!!!!"
--- Christopher Schanck, mammal at large.
schanck@flounder.cis.ohio-state.edu

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (01/16/89)

>the debugger on an educational discount, boo hiss!). What I want to
>know is could someone(s) post a convincing reason or set of reasons
>for me to upgrade to 2.0; remember, all I really care about is the
>compiler. My system is an 8088 (ok, it's a V20) with a hard drive, and
>a CGA card. So convince me! :-)

I'm sure others will post a variety of helpful reasons but here is one that
I'll bet will be missed.

The help system.

THELP is a resident TSR that takes up only 8K and stays resident on ALL my
machines.  It gives me the handy C support that I need.  Every day (almost)
we end up asking ourselves what is the order of arguments in fread?  What are
the names of the structure elements in the ANSI time structure?  What include
file do I need when I use the findfirst() call...  THELP gives me that INSTANTLY
without having to take my hands off the keyboard.  I love it.

The organization of the help system is a hypertext one.  That allows you to
be looking at one of the ANSI time calls and then easily flip the cursor down to
the other listed calls at the bottom of the screen, press ENTER, and view the
syntax of the function.  Everything is linked.

If you take a look at it, it will definitely sway you.

John Munsch

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (01/17/89)

In article <31304@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Christopher Schanck <schanck@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
=am using version 1.5, and I can get 2.0 for $50 through OSU (can't get
=the debugger on an educational discount, boo hiss!). What I want to

Sure you can!  Call Educational Sales at Borland.  The
Debugger/Assembler package is also $49.95 to qualified educational folks.

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

rchen@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/17/89)

>/* Written 12:39 am  Jan 15, 1989 by schanck@salmon.cis.ohio-state.edu */
>/* ---------- "TC 2.0 Pros/Cons" ---------- */
>... What I want to
>know is could someone(s) post a convincing reason or set of reasons
>for me to upgrade to 2.0; remember, all I really care about is the
>compiler. My system is an 8088 (ok, it's a V20) with a hard drive, and
>a CGA card. So convince me! :-)

I'd say hold your horse on TC 2.0.  I am having several problems
to convert my TC 1.5 programs to TC 2.0 right now.  The dummiest
one is that in some cases (I don't know why) all TC graphics fonts
look different (mainly in size) from before when using TC 2.0.
In some other cases (I don't know why either), the fonts look the
same but the textwidth() function returns different values under
different compilers.  Believe me, several people in our office
experienced the same problem.  We checked the compilers and the libraries
we used.  Still, no one can tell what's going on.  By the way, we
are using PS-2/50's with VGA board.  We had no trouble with TC 1.5.

-Ron Chen         Office for Information Management

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (01/18/89)

In article <8000033@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, rchen@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> I'd say hold your horse on TC 2.0.  I am having several problems
> to convert my TC 1.5 programs to TC 2.0 right now.

There are definitely some differences between TC 1.5 and 2.0.
The changed behaviour of cprintf() with respect to '\n' is a
good example.  It isn't a bug since it is clearly documented and
cprintf() isn't portable anyway.

The main things I've noticed are changes to make TC more nearly
ANSI C and more portable to non-DOS systems.  I also use  C
on VMS and UNIX VAXen and am finding it much easier to port programs
amongst all 3 with TC 2.0 as compared with before.

I would say to get TC 2.0 and which is a much better, faster compiler that
is more portable to ANSI/POSIX systems.
         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)

bkbarret@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) (01/23/89)

In article <1779@edison.GE.COM>, rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
> In article <8000033@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, rchen@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>
> > I'd say hold your horse on TC 2.0.  I am having several problems
> > to convert my TC 1.5 programs to TC 2.0 right now.
>
> There are definitely some differences between TC 1.5 and 2.0.
 [CHOMP!]

 Another problem when upgrading to TC 2.0 is how 2.0 deals with bit
fields. In 1.5, bit fields are expanded out to the byte, in 2.0
they are expanded out to the word.

 A project I maintain (a Citadel BBS system) uses bit fields for
most user flags, and upgrading was a pain until I discovered this
little item. It seemed to want to add a byte to each log record.
Luckily I was informed by a friend who also ran into the problem.

 Wish Borland would have told us.

--
 "Somebody help me! I'm trapped in this computer!"

 Brent Barrett ..pacbell!sactoh0!bkbarret GEMAIL: B.K.BARRETT

cww@ndmath.UUCP (Clarence W. Wilkerson) (01/23/89)

I like this aspect of Turbo C, but use of it makes my
programs harder to port to VAX or SUN unix c. GCC is
ok though.

jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) (01/25/89)

In article <642@sactoh0.UUCP> bkbarret@sactoh0.UUCP writes:

> Another problem when upgrading to TC 2.0 is how 2.0 deals with bit
>fields. In 1.5, bit fields are expanded out to the byte, in 2.0
>they are expanded out to the word.
>
> A project I maintain (a Citadel BBS system) uses bit fields for
>most user flags, and upgrading was a pain until I discovered this
>little item. It seemed to want to add a byte to each log record.
>Luckily I was informed by a friend who also ran into the problem.
>
> Brent Barrett ..pacbell!sactoh0!bkbarret GEMAIL: B.K.BARRETT

Perhaps bit fields would be byte expanded if the compilation switch pertaining
to byte/word alignment were set to byte alignment.

-J.

---
John P. Silva
INTERNET : jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu           "You don't know what you're
UUCP     : {backbone}!ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva       getting into, friend..."

bkbarret@sactoh0.UUCP (Brent K. Barrett) (01/26/89)

In article <9089@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) writes:
> Perhaps bit fields would be byte expanded if the compilation switch pertaining
> to byte/word alignment were set to byte alignment.

 That's obvious, but wasn't the point of my message. They should
have TOLD us the default had changed, and they didn't.