[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VI editor for the PC by Custom Software Systems

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (01/26/89)

<"He seemed like such a nice man . . . and then he turned out to be a writer!">

In article <8400005@gistdev>, jeff@gistdev.UUCP writes:
> Custom Software Systems does have the BEST PC implementation of VI,
> however, they are no more.
>
> A while ago, AT&T took them to court over two of their other products,
> PC/TOOLS and PC/SPELL, but not for PC/VI.  Apparently, CSS used AT&T
> source code for spell and many other UN*X tools in PC/TOOLS without paying
> AT&T for them.  As a result, they paid AT&T an undisclosed amount and
> ceased all operations.

That's my understanding, too.

> It is a pity because we have a site license for PC/VI which I feel is the
> best port to the MS-DOS world available.  They even fixed "set
> noerrorbells" so that it actually worked.  I hope that someone may buy
> PC/VI from them in a bankruptcy deal and continue to work on it.

Well, PC/VI required an ANSI.SYS-like driver (preferably FANSI.SYS), as
I recall.  There's also the disturbing possibility that, like PC/TOOLS
and PC/SPELL, PC/VI was based on licensed (not by them) AT&T source
code.  CSS would still own the changes, but anyone who wanted to sell
the package would still need to pay AT&T.

This isn't legal trickery.  AT&T owns the vi source code, period.
(Yes, some large part of it was originally written at UCB.  I don't
know all the details of the transfer.)  CSS took AT&T source code, and
used it as the basis of a commercial product without reimbursing the
company responsible for writing it in the first place.

As far as I know, it's possible that CSS wrote PC/VI from scratch.  I
don't know AT&T's official position on that product.  At any rate, if
it's not based on AT&T code, then, yes, someone else could bring it
back to market.

> >If Custom Software has gone away, does anyone know of another company
> >that has Vi for the PC?

Mortice Kern Systems, 35 King St. North, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
N2J 2W9, uunet!mks!inquiry, 519-884-2251.  They sell it by itself, or
as part of the MKS Toolkit.  I don't have the current prices handy (the
Toolkit just went up, I think.)

> Jeff Johnson	Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
> jeff%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu, {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!jeff

Paul S. R. Chisholm, psrc@pegasus.att.com (formerly psc@lznv.att.com)
AT&T Bell Laboratories, att!pegasus!psrc, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.  Other than that,
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.