[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Repost : Help With LIBrary File Formats

hornbeck@ucrmath.EDU (Matthew Hornbeck) (01/12/89)

I didn't get any replies the last time I posted this, so I'm going
to try again.

Can anyone out there help me find the format of LIBrary files
under MS-DOS?  I understand the format of the OBJect files and that
the LIBrary format is :

	Library Header
	Object File(s)
	Library dictionary

But, I have no clue as to the format of the Header and the dictionary.

I would like to try to write my own version of a linker, mainly to see
how hard it is to do.  I've decoded most of the records in the OBJect
files (using information in the MS-DOS Encyclopedia from Microsoft),
but found no clues to the format of the LIBrary Headers and Dictionary.

Please send mail to me, and I'll try to post a summary of the responses.

Many Thanks,
Matthew Hornbeck
hornbeck@ucrmath.UUCP

carlp@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Carl Paukstis) (01/27/89)

In article <658@ucrmath.EDU> hornbeck@ucrmath.UUCP (Matthew Hornbeck) writes:
>Can anyone out there help me find the format of LIBrary files
>under MS-DOS?

Me, too!  Matthew, if you get this info, would you be kind enough to mail
me a copy?

One of the irritating things about C development on the PC is the lack of a
"make" which will conveniently handle dependencies of libraries.  I fear
that there's no date information in a LIB, making this impossible, but I'd
like to know for sure.

--
Carl Paukstis    +1 509 927 5600 x5321  |"The right to be heard does not
                                        | automatically include the right
UUCP:     carlp@iscuvc.ISCS.COM         | to be taken seriously."
          ...uunet!iscuva!carlp         |                  - H. H. Humphrey