[comp.sys.ibm.pc] for sale ... ad nauseam

dunno@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Joyce Hicks) (01/16/89)

PUT YOUR FLAME SUITS ON:
It is getting a little bit ridiculous seeing all the FOR SALE ad for various
soft/hard ware in the 'COMP.SYS.IBM.PC' newsgroup, I possibly could under-
stand it if people would use the damn LOCAL switch for distribution instead
of world-wide. But seeing stuff for sale from somebody in the New England
area in Texas is B... S...;also there are newsgroups for 'for sale' items.
If you don't know how to edit the newsgroup line RTFM. Not to mention that
the prices that I have seen, I could order it brand spanking new from several
places(in town as well as mail order).
Flames off.

A pissed off reader of garbage in the wrong news groups.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/17/89)

In article <6803@killer.DALLAS.TX.US., dunno@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Joyce Hicks) writes:
.
. PUT YOUR FLAME SUITS ON:
. It is getting a little bit ridiculous seeing all the FOR SALE ad for various
. soft/hard ware in the 'COMP.SYS.IBM.PC' newsgroup, I possibly could under-
. stand it if people would use the damn LOCAL switch for distribution instead
. of world-wide. But seeing stuff for sale from somebody in the New England
. area in Texas is B... S...;also there are newsgroups for 'for sale' items.
. If you don't know how to edit the newsgroup line RTFM. Not to mention that
. the prices that I have seen, I could order it brand spanking new from several
. places(in town as well as mail order).
. Flames off.
.
. A pissed off reader of garbage in the wrong news groups.

Sorry to offend -- but when I announced an EGA card for sale in this
group, distribution "usa", I received requests from all over, and it
was sold to someone in Wisconsin.

I will agree that people trying to sell stuff above new prices is
pretty silly (unless someone here on the net is silly enough to buy
it at that price).

--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (01/18/89)

In article <6803@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, dunno@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Joyce Hicks) writes:
> It is getting a little bit ridiculous seeing all the FOR SALE ad for various
> soft/hard ware in the 'COMP.SYS.IBM.PC' newsgroup...

Agreed: "for sale" belongs in a separate group or in local distribution.
But the sender probably wanted to hit this audience and not everyone can
restrict distribution.  I suspect you're frustrated by the incredible
volume of this newsgroup (I am) and that you're striking out at the
first good target.

This newsgroup seems to have 10 times the volume of any other newsgroup
that I belong to.  After a 3-day weekend there is a 150-200 article
backlog.  We need to divide (into sub-groups) and conquer.  Perhaps a
moderated sub-group.  (But comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest already does that job
pretty well.)  I don't have any good ideas about how to split up
comp.sys.ibm.pc, just a certainty that it's too big.  Hardware vs.
software vs. peripherals?  How do magazines divide their coverage?
What should be forbidden in comp.sys.ibm.pc?  (E.g., for sale, flames,
discussion like this, etc.)

	Rick Carle, rgc@raybed2.ray.com

hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (01/20/89)

From article <1259@raybed2.UUCP>, by rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE):
> In article <6803@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, dunno@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Joyce Hicks) writes:
>> It is getting a little bit ridiculous seeing all the FOR SALE ad for various
>> soft/hard ware in the 'COMP.SYS.IBM.PC' newsgroup...
>
> Agreed: "for sale" belongs in a separate group or in local distribution.
> But the sender probably wanted to hit this audience and not everyone can
> restrict distribution.  I suspect you're frustrated by the incredible
> volume of this newsgroup (I am) and that you're striking out at the
> first good target.
> 	Rick Carle, rgc@raybed2.ray.com

Perhaps using a better newsreader will solve this kind of problem.
I am using 'vn' and it allows me to scan a maximum number of news groups
and articles with a minimum amount of time.  I am very glad that the
traffic is so high in this group as it produces a great deal of very
useful information.  Any newsgroup is going to have a certain amount
of chaff, but this seems to be rather the low end of the amount of
good information available.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) (01/20/89)

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) writes:

>This newsgroup seems to have 10 times the volume of any other newsgroup
>that I belong to.  After a 3-day weekend there is a 150-200 article
>backlog.  We need to divide (into sub-groups) and conquer.  Perhaps a
>moderated sub-group.  (But comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest already does that job
>pretty well.)  I don't have any good ideas about how to split up
>comp.sys.ibm.pc, just a certainty that it's too big.  Hardware vs.

From reading this group, you would think it's the only one that
exists for the IBM PC.

  My suggestion is that we split it into several groups:

     1.  comp.sys.ibmpc.turboc
     2.  comp.sys.ibmpc.os2
     3.  comp.sys.ibmpc.turbopascal
     4.  comp.sys.ibmpc.applications
     5.  comp.sys.ibmpc.hardwarwe
     6.  comp.sys.ibmpc.clones

  I don't know.  Maybe these groups stink.  Any other suggestions?

Paul Houtz
HP Technology Access Center
10670 N. Tantau Avenue
Cupertino, Ca 95014
(408) 725-3864
hplabs!hpda!hpsemc!gph
gph%hpsemc@hplabs.HP.COM

schanck@harmonica.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (01/20/89)

In article <1259@raybed2.UUCP> rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) writes:
>This newsgroup seems to have 10 times the volume of any other newsgroup
>that I belong to.  After a 3-day weekend there is a 150-200 article
>backlog.  We need to divide (into sub-groups) and conquer.  Perhaps a

This is an all too valid point. There was a suggestion recently to
split the group into programming/application. This seems a very
reasonable way to do it to me. Witness the length and depth of the
recent discussion on pointer subtraction in C. I am sure there are
many who do little programming whom were driven nuts by the sheer
volume of the discussion.

Just my $.02 worth.

Chris
-=-
"My brain is NOT a deadlock-free environment!!!!"
--- Christopher Schanck, mammal at large.
schanck@flounder.cis.ohio-state.edu

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) (01/21/89)

I agree;  however,
I tried to decide, of the split groups that would result, which
one would I NOT subscribe to.  I'd probably read them all
anyway.

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (01/22/89)

In article <640004@hpcilzb.HP.COM> rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) writes:
>I agree;  however,
>I tried to decide, of the split groups that would result, which
>one would I NOT subscribe to.  I'd probably read them all
>anyway.

Actually, I have a better split:
	1 comp.sys.ibm.pc.good-stuff
	2 comp.sys.ibm.pc.things-I-agree-with
	3 comp.sys.ibm.pc.questions-I-can-answer

	4 comp.sys.ibm.pc.things-I-dont-agree-with
	5 comp.sys.ibm.pc.questions-I-cant-answer
	6 comp.sys.ibm.pc.flames
	7 comp.sys.ibm.pc.bad-stuff
	8 comp.sys.ibm.pc.meta-discussions

Personally, I would subscribe to 1-3 and "u" 4-8.

Unfortunately, if we split into N groups, I think almost everyone would
read all and cross post to all, resulting in an N increase in the
number of article numbers and little added efficiency.

Thoughtfully, Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/23/89)

<6300@thorin.cs.unc.edu> davis@clocs.UUCP (Mark Davis) :
-
-	1 comp.sys.ibm.pc.good-stuff
-	2 comp.sys.ibm.pc.things-I-agree-with
-	3 comp.sys.ibm.pc.questions-I-can-answer
-
-	4 comp.sys.ibm.pc.things-I-dont-agree-with
-	5 comp.sys.ibm.pc.questions-I-cant-answer
-	6 comp.sys.ibm.pc.flames
-	7 comp.sys.ibm.pc.bad-stuff
-	8 comp.sys.ibm.pc.meta-discussions
-
-Personally, I would subscribe to 1-3 and "u" 4-8.

An excellent split.  The problem is that you have to skim 4-8 anyway to
make sure someone didn't post something there that should have gone into
#1.  Then you also need #9, comp.sys.ibm.pc.meta-flames, for flaming
mis-targeted postings.  And on the other hand, why bother to read #2?

Also, you need
	5a comp.sys.ibm.pc.good-answers-to-questions-I-cant-answer
which should in turn be subdivided into answers-to-questions that you
know you want to know as soon as the question appears, and answers-to-
questions that you'll ignore until it hits you a week later that you
should have read that posting to fill an unsuspected void.

Let's just simplify:

	1 comp.sys.ibm.pc.things-I-want-to-read
	2 comp.sys.ibm.pc.things-I-dont-want-to-read

Then I can read #1, and post to #2  :-)

mdfreed@ziebmef.uucp (Mark Freedman) (01/27/89)

(splitting comp.sys.ibm.pc)
   Actually, the original posting suggested several sub-groups which would
already fit nicely into existing groups. For example, Turbo C / Microsoft C
postings really belong in comp.languages.c (forget the exact name right now)
Turbo Pascal in comp.language.pascal, etc.
  It seems likely that the language experts who dwell in said newsgroups
might not bother reading ibm.pc, and that their expertise would in many cases
be equally applicable to specific implementations.