[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Thanks for vi.arc, but....

marty@homxc.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) (01/27/89)

In article <18200003@ugun21>, loschner@ugun21.UUCP writes:

> begin 600 vi.arc
> M&@A622Y%6$4 )24E)24EPI0  #<2RV10(&C#   ,3;2@"2 &@"@ 0 "T$?#Ox
> K$+('D  !:P 3$ $*T  !"P$3L  !R[$! 0!]$  SNPY\H 2 , 4YN[,:   .x
> end
> ------------------------------------
> BITNET:    loeschner.pad@nixpbe.UUCP
> UUCP:      ...!uunet!linus!nixbur!nixpbe!loeschner.pad
> 	   ...!{cernvax|mcvax|inria|ukc}!unido!nixpbe!loeschner.pad
> VMS-Mail:  PSI%2624552519304::VMS4::LOSCHNER
> Phone:     nat-5251-10-5791
> S-mail:    Nixdorf Computer AG
> 	   Jan G. Loeschner
> 	   Bereich EG
> 	   Unterer Frankfurter Weg 10
> 	   D-4790 Paderborn
> 	   West Germany

I downloaded this to my PC and tried it out.  I like it.  It has (when
ANSI.SYS is installed) the basic look and feel of the vi editor as
implemented on UNIX(r) systems.  It's closer to the "real" vi than
another version I tried before.  But I have a problem using it.

I get files on my PC with literal backspace characters embedded in
them.  I want to use vi to search and replace these backspace
characters.  In vi on a UNIX(r) system, I can create a regular
expression with a backspace in it by typing either backslash backspace
or CTRL-V backspace.  In this version of vi on the PC, neither of
these methods works.  I have also tried backslash octal and ALT-keypad
with no success.

Somewhere in the chain of replies to my request, I fully expect someone
to read a partial quotation from it and tell me to use a backslash or a
CTRL-V before the backspace.  I know that works on UNIX(r) systems and
doesn't work on this version of vi on a PC.  Does anyone know how to
create a regular expression containing a backspace in this PC version?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858		Home (201) 946-8147
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (01/27/89)

In article <5188@homxc.ATT.COM> marty@homxc.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) writes:
) I downloaded this to my PC and tried it out.  I like it.  It has (when
) ANSI.SYS is installed) the basic look and feel of the vi editor as
) implemented on UNIX(r) systems.  It's closer to the "real" vi than
) another version I tried before.  But I have a problem using it....

Don't waste any more of your valuable time on freeware vi-clones.
Spend ~$150 of your hard-earned money for the MKS toolkit and you'll be
in UNIX-heaven in the midst of DOS-hell.  You'll have a *real*
full-featured vi, awk, sed, ed, (e|f|)grep, yacc, and just about
anything else you could ever want(*) plus a real-live korn-shell with
aliases, history-editing, shell-functions, long (up to 5K) command-line
argument-lists and the ability to write shell-scripts with the hairiest
conglomerations of pipes and filters and subshells you can imagine.

The MKS-Toolkit is truly great.  I can't praise it enough--it has made
PC-life worth living.  (I have found some bugs, but they are few and minor)

(BTW, I have no connection with MKS, other than as a satisfied customer)

(*) Here's what you get in the MKS /bin:
awk	  banner    basename  c		cal	  cat	    cd	      chmod
cmp	  comm	    compress  cp	cpio	  ctags	    cut	      date
dd	  dev	    df	      diff	diff3	  dirname   du	      echo
ed	  egrep	    env	      expand	expr	  fg	    fgrep     file
find	  fmt	    fold      getopt	gres	  head	    help      jobs
join	  kill	    lc	      line	login	  ls	    mkdir     more
mv	  nl	    nm	      od	passwd	  paste	    pr	      prof
ps	  pwd	    rev	      rm	rmdir	  sed	    sh	      size
sleep	  sort	    spell     split	strings	  strip	    sum	      switch
sync	  tail	    tee	      test	time	  touch	    tr	      tty
uname	  uncompre  unexpand  uniq	unstrip	  vi	    wc	      which
who	  yacc

In addition, you get a rudimentary init(8) and inittab for launching
your TSR's and login(1).
-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707       voice: (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm                 data: (919) 493-5953
--                                  gm@cs.duke.edu

leisner@arisia.Xerox.COM (Marty Leisner) (01/29/89)

In article <13234@duke.cs.duke.edu> gm@romeo.UUCP (Greg McGary) writes:
>Don't waste any more of your valuable time on freeware vi-clones.
>Spend ~$150 of your hard-earned money for the MKS toolkit and you'll be
>in UNIX-heaven in the midst of DOS-hell.  You'll have a *real*
>full-featured vi, awk, sed, ed, (e|f|)grep, yacc, and just about

I also like the MKS tookit and use it.  But the vi I found most useful
was the Custom Software Systems version (no longer sold) which runs via
termcap so it supports running over a com port (which is what I often do).

marty leisner
leisner.henr@xerox.com