[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TSR Info Requested

jpw@anuck.UUCP (j.p.walsh) (01/19/89)

I am interested in writing some TSR utility routines using Microsoft C
(Version 4.0). Can anyone point me to some literature on how to do it,
or E-mail some info?

Thanks in advance.

John Walsh  {usenet: att!angate!anuxh!jpw -or- ARPA: walsh@inmet.inmet.com}

hornbeck@ucrmath.EDU (Matthew Hornbeck) (01/19/89)

HELP!!
  My boss has recently asked me to try to turn an existing
EXEcutable program into a TSR.  I only have the EXE file to deal with
(i.e. no source), but the program appears to be fairly well behaved.
I have written a VERY simple TSR before and have experience decoding
EXE files, but this seems a little beyond me.

Is it possible to do this or is my boss crazy?
  If possible, any hints on how to do this?
  Is there any existing software that will do this for me?

Please send responses to me, and I'll try to post a summary.

Many thanks,
Matthew Hornbeck
hornbeck@ucrmath.UCR.EDU

mdlong@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Long) (01/22/89)

In article <1406@anuck.UUCP> jpw@anuck.UUCP (j.p.walsh) writes:
>I am interested in writing some TSR utility routines using Microsoft C
>(Version 4.0). Can anyone point me to some literature on how to do it,
>or E-mail some info?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>John Walsh  {usenet: att!angate!anuxh!jpw -or- ARPA: walsh@inmet.inmet.com}

I just picked up a book today that seems to fit your needs ...

Title:	C Power User's Guide
Pub:	Osborne/McGraw-Hill
Author:	Herbert Schildt
ISBN:	0-07-881307-7

M. David Long
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, IL
UUCP: att!ihlpa!mdlong
Internet: mdlong@ihlpa.att.com

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/24/89)

In article <1406@anuck.UUCP>, jpw@anuck.UUCP (j.p.walsh) writes:
> I am interested in writing some TSR utility routines using Microsoft C
> (Version 4.0). Can anyone point me to some literature on how to do it,
> or E-mail some info?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> John Walsh  {usenet: att!angate!anuxh!jpw -or- ARPA: walsh@inmet.inmet.com}

September(?) 1988 Microsoft Systems Journal has an article about
writing TSRs in Microsoft C.
--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

treed@dasys1.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (01/30/89)

I understand that TESS-C.ARC is a S/W or PD library of TSR routines for
C, and is available on Compu$lave or your local BBS.

Timothy Reed
..!uunet!dasys1!treed
--
NAME : Timothy Reed