[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Telix: initial reactions

goes@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jim Goes) (01/21/89)

--
Au contraire.  Must be a problem on your end, not the software.  Possibly the
interface between Telix and 9600b modems?  I regularly use Telix 3.11 to

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (01/23/89)

In article <176@oregon.uoregon.edu> goes@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jim Goes) writes:
>In article <673@ur-cc.UUCP>, joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) writes:
>>
>> I did the same thing recently (Check my review of terminal programs a few
>> weeks ago) and found Telix to be fantastic except for one major flaw ...
>> it's too damned slow to use at 9600 baud.
>--
>Au contraire.  Must be a problem on your end, not the software.  Possibly the
>interface between Telix and 9600b modems?  I regularly use Telix 3.11 to
>accesss IBM and VAX mainframes over a TCP/IP network at 19,200 and have no
>speed problems.
>Jim Goes                      |  InterNet   GOES@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU

The max. speed possible is probably a function of the CPU speed of your
machine.  Each character coming in generates an interrupt, and the interrupt
has to be processed fully before the next character can arrive for proper
operation.  Compare your CPU speeds!

Venu P. Gopal
UUCP:	att!ihuxy!vg55611
Internet: vg55611@ihuxy.att.com
BITNET: com%"vg55611@ihuxy.att.com"   or   com%"vg55611%ihuxy@research.att.com"

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (01/30/89)

As quoted from <2816@ihuxy.ATT.COM> by vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal):
+---------------
| In article <176@oregon.uoregon.edu> goes@oregon.uoregon.edu (Jim Goes) writes:
| >In article <673@ur-cc.UUCP>, joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) writes:
| >> weeks ago) and found Telix to be fantastic except for one major flaw ...
| >> it's too damned slow to use at 9600 baud.
| >
| >Au contraire.  Must be a problem on your end, not the software.  Possibly the
| >interface between Telix and 9600b modems?  I regularly use Telix 3.11 to
|
| The max. speed possible is probably a function of the CPU speed of your
| machine.  Each character coming in generates an interrupt, and the interrupt
| has to be processed fully before the next character can arrive for proper
| operation.  Compare your CPU speeds!
+---------------

I doubt that's it.  I use Telix at 9600 baud on 4.77MHz 8088 systems (ITT
XTRA, Toshiba T1000) all the time and have no speed problems (I have flow
control turned off so I can run Jove, so there's no hidden XON/XOFF stuff
making it look like it works).

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) (01/30/89)

And then finally in article <13372@ncoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) wrote:
>I doubt that's it.  I use Telix at 9600 baud on 4.77MHz 8088 systems (ITT
>XTRA, Toshiba T1000) all the time and have no speed problems (I have flow
>control turned off so I can run Jove, so there's no hidden XON/XOFF stuff
>making it look like it works).

I clearly should have qualified my statement.  I think Gopal was really right.
I don't have flow control problems (I use JOVE too, all the time) - the
problem that I have with Telix (and, incidentally, every other PD/Shareware
terminal emulator I tried) is that these things are just plain slow in
writing to the screen.  I don't lose characters.  What happens is that it
simply takes about 10 times longer (purely subjective measurement) to fill
the screen with text for Telix than it does for Procomm+ ... and it's too
frustrating to wait.

My machine is an 8MHz AT, and that's probably the source of the difference.
So - that's very nice for all of you that have slow machines - I'm glad you
can use a great program like Telix!  Now, could someone get back to the
author of the thing and tell him that he's got a great program that's just
too slow for fast(er) machines?  I wish I could use it!

Josh
--
Josh Sirota
INTERNET: joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu        BITNET: joss_ss@uordbv.bitnet

And earlier today, I said:
> I clearly should have qualified my statement.  I don't have flow control
> problems (I use JOVE too, all the time) - the problem that I have with Telix
> (and, incidentally, every other PD/Shareware terminal emulator I tried) is
> that these things are just plain slow in writing to the screen.  I don't
> lose characters.  What happens is that it simply takes about 10 times longer
> (purely subjective measurement) to fill the screen with text for Telix than
> it does for Procomm+ ... and it's too frustrating to wait.

Oops.  Since I've already had two people ask, I also should have said that I
*do* have Telix configured for direct screen writes.  That's not the
problem.  I'm quite convinced it has to do with the algorithms used by the
two programs, or maybe the compiler that was used, or something like that.
In any case, it's not just a configuration issue.  One program is faster
than the other at doing essentially equivalent tasks.

Sorry this all took 3 postings.

Josh