[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM PS/2 Model 70 memory

dd2u@hudson.acc.virginia.edu (drucker david) (01/24/89)

    We have a new PS/2 Model 70 with 1 MB ram on the mother board.
When we turn the computer on it only counts to 890 KB and then
goes into its boot-up procedure. Everthing seems to be working fine.
The computer says it has 1 MB when we check the set-up.
    The local IBM rep has said this is normal and nothing to be worried
about. Question is, true or false. I mean whats a few KB among friends.
    Anyone who can set my mind at ease please do so. Thanks.

David Drucker
Curry School of Education

BITNET  dd2u@virginia.edu

                   <<< sorry no fancy sig. here >>>

wlat_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Wayne Lattery) (01/30/89)

 I do not think what the IBM representative had said to is true. I have an
IBM model 50Z with a 20meg harddrive and every time it goes through the
startup procedure, it always counts up to 1024 Kb in memory, which I understand
is one meg of memory. I think you try to run some sort of software check, maybe
the newest version of the Norton Utilities or the Norton Commander which always
tells you on a status window,the total memory that your machine has, how much isused by the system and how much is availiable to you for your programs.

                         Wayne N. Lattery

porphano@lehi3b15.UUCP (Paul Orphanos) (01/31/89)

In article <742@ur-cc.UUCP> wlat_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Wayne Lattery) writes:

> I do not think what the IBM representative had said to is true. I have an
>IBM model 50Z with a 20meg harddrive and every time it goes through the
>startup procedure, it always counts up to 1024 Kb in memory, which I understand
>is one meg of memory.
>                         Wayne N. Lattery

The 'problem' is only for model 70's. The ROM's automatically copy themselves
into RAM to make the machine run faster. There's nothing you can do about it
(or so IBM dealer support says).

Paul Orphanos