[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Let's get rid of COMMAND.COM entire

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (01/24/89)

>I have a copy of a public domain program called CSH4.ARC.  This is a csh()
>like shell that is run under DOS.  (Thus no need to sacrifice all your handy
>MS-DOS programs like grep, vi, emacs.... Oops!  Wrong OS!)  The archive in-
>cludes the source code in C.

PLEASE!  Post that baby!  Many of us do not have FTP access and would be
deprived of that tasty tidbit.  Ask your site administrator about how you can
use uuencode to put a binary into a posting.

BTW, you were joking about the MS-DOS utilities but all the ones you named
have equivalents that someone has written at one time or another.  One
particularly good package is PICNIX (ls, grep, cp, rm, tee, etc.).  The last
version of it was version 3 and that had some significant bugs in it but a
quick fix shortly thereafter cured many of them.  Well worth considering if
the author is still supporting them.

John Munsch

sullivan@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (02/01/89)

In article <216100080@trsvax> johnm@trsvax.UUCP writes:

>>I have a copy of a public domain program called CSH4.ARC.  This is a csh()

>PLEASE!  Post that baby!  Many of us do not have FTP access and would be
>
>particularly good package is PICNIX (ls, grep, cp, rm, tee, etc.).  The last

The problem with csh4 is that a number of the utilities you mentioned in
PICNIX are built into the shell, or at least primitive versions (with few
options) are built into the shell.  It looks like it would be a pain in the
rear to use the better PICNIX commands with csh4.  I decided not to install
it, and am planning to buy the MKS toolkit.

Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu
First you make a roux!