[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Environment Space - Increasing environment space in MS-DOS 3.2

emb978@leah.Albany.Edu (Eric M. Boehm) (02/01/89)

In article <1134@khoo.sdl.UUCP>, khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) writes:
> Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.
> My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem
> to work with MSDOS 3.20.

Just add the following line to CONFIG.SYS (make it the first line)

SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:512 /P

You can replace occurrences of C:\ with the correct path for COMMAND.COM
(the first occurrence tells MS-DOS where to find COMMAND.COM the first time,
the second tells it where to find COMMAND.COM when it needs to reload). The
/E tells MS-DOS how many bytes to use for the environment (in bytes, to a
maximum of 32,767, default is 128 bytes). The /P tells MS-DOS that this is
the primary processor for the EXIT command. You also need this so that
AUTOEXEC.BAT will execute.

Eric M. Boehm
EMB978@ALBNY1VX.BITNET
EMB978@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU

wei@hpctdls.HP.COM (Bill Ives) (02/02/89)

    Since setenv doesn't work my next best suggestion is use
    the shell command in your config.sys file. I'm not sure if this
    works in 3.2 but it does in 3.3 -- try it.  The syntax is:

       shell=c:command.com /E:1024

    where 1024 is the number of bytes set aside for environment
    space.

    Hope this helped.

    Bill Ives
    HP CTD

    #include <standard-disclaimer>

toddg@hpldoma.HP.COM (Todd Goin) (02/02/89)

>>	shell=c:command.com /E:1024

>>	Bill Ives
>>	HP CTD
>>
>>	#include <standard-disclaimer>

Bill, If you don't add a /P to the end of the line above, DOS isn't
supposed to run your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

And also, if for some reason, the current directory is NOT \, DOS won't
find your command.com.  I don't know of a way (at this point in the bootup)
that the directory could be anything BUT \, but c:\command is safer.

	Todd Goin
	HP-EDD