[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80x87 emulation

aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Bill Basden) (01/24/89)

Does anyone know of a software product that can emulate the 80x87?  Someone
told me that they had heard of a PD program that could do this on a 80286
or a 80386 machine but I haven't been able to track it down.  I don't mind
a decrease in speed when I see what they're getting for a '387.

Bill Basden

aj5@mentor.cc.purdue.edu  BASDEN@PURCCVM
mentor.cc.purdue.edu!aj5

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/25/89)

>  I don't mind
>a decrease in speed when I see what they're getting for a '387.

There has been a serious price collapse for 387's, at least
20MHz ones. I just got one for $430 or thereabouts from Hamilton-Avnet.
In PC week the adds are also near there.

And the speed increase if great if you need it. Yesterday we got our
new spiffy $40000 DEC Vaxstation 3100 connected to our Ethernet,
and I was able to run the Dhrystone. At 4800 it is half as fast
as the $6000 Dell 310. Using the Whetstone floating benchmark, the
Dell is 20% faster than the VAX. Without it - I rebooted before finishing.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/30/89)

In article <45900197@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

| And the speed increase if great if you need it. Yesterday we got our
| new spiffy $40000 DEC Vaxstation 3100 connected to our Ethernet,
| and I was able to run the Dhrystone. At 4800 it is half as fast
| as the $6000 Dell 310. Using the Whetstone floating benchmark, the
| Dell is 20% faster than the VAX. Without it - I rebooted before finishing.

  You are correct about the speed increase, a factor of 30 is possible
(but not common). I can't quite see you Dhrystone numbers for the 3100,
though. I got 24194 no registers, 26316 with. This is in line with all
other results I (and others at my site) got. Could you have used the
real time instead of the CPU and had a background load?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/31/89)

>| And the speed increase if great if you need it. Yesterday we got our
>| new spiffy $40000 DEC Vaxstation 3100 connected to our Ethernet,
>| and I was able to run the Dhrystone. At 4800 it is half as fast
>| as the $6000 Dell 310. Using the Whetstone floating benchmark, the
>| Dell is 20% faster than the VAX. Without it - I rebooted before finishing.

>I can't quite see you Dhrystone numbers for the 3100,
>though. I got 24194 no registers, 26316 with. This is in line with all
>other results I (and others at my site) got. Could you have used the
>real time instead of the CPU and had a background load?

I boo-boo'ed about the Vax. It is a 3500, not a 3100. But is is $40000.

(Is that 3100 the new MIPS RISC box? 25000 sounds right for it.)

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/03/89)

In article <45900200@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

| I boo-boo'ed about the Vax. It is a 3500, not a 3100. But is is $40000.
|
| (Is that 3100 the new MIPS RISC box? 25000 sounds right for it.)

  Yes. There is a lot of confusion because the VAXstation 3100 is a
microVAX and the DECstation 3100 is the MIPS machine. I would think that
they would have enough number to go 'round to use another for the RISC
archetecture. The RISC machine is "real fast" by any standard, but I
want to see what Sun releases at their press conference in March.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)