[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help with Zenith Supersport

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (01/29/89)

     I need some help with a possible problem with my new Zenith
Supersport laptop (dual floppies).

	1) When I am in Word Perfect 5.0 it makes a high pitched whine.
Is this normal? It does not do this when I am in DOS or Word, and
the tone changes or stops if I cursor down or sometimes just
go to another menu.   I was told by someone at the store where I got
it that this is due to the software handeling of the video mode.  Is
this so?  If so, is there a way to stop it?

	2) Is there a newsgroup on the net, or a newsletter, that
deals with laptops and esp. the Zenith variety?  If not are there
other users that could point me in the direction of a BBS or user
group that focuses on Zeniths?

Thanks.  Please E-mail to:

	markxx@garnet.Berekeley.EDU
	(Mark Ritchie)

maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) (02/02/89)

In article <19653@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:

>     I need some help with a possible problem with my new Zenith
>Supersport laptop (dual floppies).
>
>	1) When I am in Word Perfect 5.0 it makes a high pitched whine.
>Is this normal?

	I don't know, but the Zenith SuperSport (not 286) I'm typing
on at the moment is emitting its own high-pitched whine.

	Sometimes I don't notice it; sometimes it makes me want to
howl like a dog hearing a fire engine's siren.

	If you hear anything worth passing on, let me know.

	(Whoops, forgot--I'm using ProComm, though I'm in rn and vi
riht now.)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (02/03/89)

>>	1) When I am in Word Perfect 5.0 it makes a high pitched whine.
>>Is this normal?
>
>	I don't know, but the Zenith SuperSport (not 286) I'm typing
>on at the moment is emitting its own high-pitched whine.

A friend of mine had a z-181 (previous generation) with a screen that
whined quite loudly.  I'd noticed a slight whine in a demo model, but
this was much more.  The dealer agreed that there was something wrong
with it, and replaced the screen (along with the attached computer, I
think :-).  The replacement was muchmuch quieter.  For what it's worth,
the intensity of the whine seemed to vary with the brightness and
contrast settings.  So specific software may be trying for color
combinations that aggravate the situation.