[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS Tools on Toshiba T1000

andyd@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Andy Davidson) (01/31/89)

I have been helping a friend try to install the MKS Toolkit (or part of
it) on a Toshiba 1000 laptop. (Ah-ah; you're not allowed to ask
questions like that!) This machine has MS-DOS (version 2.11) in ROM,
which is known as drive c: and a "Hard RAM" drive known as drive d:
on which everything else resides. (We are trying to avoid using the
floppy drive.)

For a first level of success, we were trying to install sh as the
default shell.  If that failed, then set it up so he can use vi and few
of the other tools from DOS.

If I boot the machine with the following autoexec.bat:
		echo off
		path d:\bin;d:\;d:\andyd;c:\;d:\kermit
		prompt $p$g
then the MKS tools are found ok, though of course wild card expansion
doesn't work right.  (Thus,  'wc *.bat' gives the error message 'wc:
cannot open file "*.bat"'.  The one exception is ls which fails no
matter what I do.  The command 'ls' fails for 'ls: File or directory ""
is not found' and 'ls bin' fails for 'ls: File or directory "bin" is
not found') Now, however, if I go into the shell with 'sh -L' I cannot
find anything, including the DOS commands.  All commands (except shell
built-ins) fail for 'xxx: not found' where xxx is the command tried.
It makes no difference whether I do the 'sh -L' in the root directory
(which has no profile.ksh) or in my subdirectory (andyd) which does.
(That's not quite true.  My profile.ksh has the same aliases in it that
MKS shows in their example: for things like dir, etc.  These fail
instead for 'c:/command.com not found')

If I boot the machine with the following autoexec.bat:
		PATH d:\bin;d:\;d:\andyd;c:\;d:\kermit
		prompt $p$g
		set GLOB=d:\etc
the MKS tools are found ok, though now wild card expansion fails for
'glob: EXEC error'.  The effect when in the shell is the same as before.
(The path statement in profile.ksh, by the way is
		export PATH=";d:/bin;d:/;$HOME;c:/;d:/kermit"
where $HOME="d:/andyd" as you might expect.)

Does anybody have clue as to what I'm doing wrong or is there something
fundamentally wrong with the Toshiba BIOS?

--
Andy Davidson    Toolsmith-in-residence    (503) 685-3033
Tektronix, Inc.  MS 63-356 P.O. Box 1000, Wilsonville, OR 97070

forrest@phobos.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) (02/01/89)

In article <6707@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM> andyd@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Andy Davidson) writes:

>I have been helping a friend try to install the MKS Toolkit (or part of
>it) on a Toshiba 1000 laptop.
[...]
>The MKS tools are ok, though of course wild card expansion
>doesn't work right.  (Thus,  'wc *.bat' gives the error message 'wc:
>cannot open file "*.bat"'.  The one exception is ls which fails no
>matter what I do.  The command 'ls' fails for 'ls: File or directory ""
>is not found' and 'ls bin' fails for 'ls: File or directory "bin" is
>not found')

This happened to me too. There is a bug in the tools that only
shows up under MSDOS 2.x. I called MKS to report this problem
and they said they'd ship me a new version of the tools with
the bug fixed, which they did. I posted a message about this about
a year ago.

So, I'd give MKS an F for not testing such a simple command in
such a simple environment, but an A for customer support and
an A for such a good product.

Jon Forrest
forrest%sybase.com@sun.com
{pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (02/03/89)

In article <6707@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM> andyd@pogo.GPID.TEK.COM (Andy Davidson) writes:

}I have been helping a friend try to install the MKS Toolkit (or part of
}it) on a Toshiba 1000 laptop...

}If I boot the machine with the following autoexec.bat:
}		PATH d:\bin;d:\;d:\andyd;c:\;d:\kermit
}		prompt $p$g
}		set GLOB=d:\etc
}the MKS tools are found ok, though now wild card expansion fails for
}'glob: EXEC error'.  The effect when in the shell is the same as before.

}Does anybody have clue as to what I'm doing wrong or is there something
}fundamentally wrong with the Toshiba BIOS?

Think you need to say:

		set GLOB=d:\etc\glob.exe

(or whatever the COMPLETE pathname for the globber is).

good luck, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (att!cbnews!cbema!las or osu-cis!apr!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave