[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS words.zs

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (01/31/89)

I've looked all over the documentation, but for the life of me I can't
figure out what etc/words.zs is for.  Any help?

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (02/01/89)

Re: MKS/etc/words.zs

This is the dictionary of words that the 'spell' program looks up.
Unfortunately, you have to uncompress it first so that it becomes
'/etc/words.s'.  It takes a lot of room.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (02/03/89)

In article <11470047@hpsmtc1.HP.COM>, swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
> Re: MKS/etc/words.zs
>
> This is the dictionary of words that the 'spell' program looks up.
> Unfortunately, you have to uncompress it first so that it becomes
> '/etc/words.s'.  It takes a lot of room.

Correct. To convert words.zs to words.s, use the command

	uncompress -d /etc/words.zs >words.s

There is a batch file on your MKS Toolkit diskette called mkspell.bat
which does this, and then it invokes the spell program to read the word
list and create a hash table.  During normal use, spell uses the hash
table, not the word list, so the compressed and uncompressed word lists
can be deleted to save disk space.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels