[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What is JOVE?

rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers) (01/31/89)

I have heard a number of people talk about JOVE.
Can some one tell me what it is/does?

'Seek out new life and civilizations'	| Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC
					| Internet: rogers@src.honeywell.com
       "Honey, come see what I   	| UUCP: rogers@srcsip.uucp
        found in the refrigerator!"	| !: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyb}!srcsip!rogers

seamans@nlm-mcs.arpa (James R. Seamans) (02/02/89)

JOVE stands for  Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs

From the Manual -

Jove is an advanced, self-documenting, customizable real-time
display editor.

With that aside I've been using JOVE on a PC for the last three years
without exception of document.  Here at the National Library of Medicine,
JOVE is catching on with most of the programmers (30).  We have recently ported
ver 4.9 to Sun3, Sun4, VAX780 and of course the PC.  One of the nicer features
is that is behaves the same without regard to the system one is currently on.
You do not need to relearn key mappings they are the same for each system.
That claim would be diffcult to make with most editors or word processors.

earl@trsvax.UUCP (02/02/89)

/* ---------- "What is JOVE?" ---------- */
I have heard a number of people talk about JOVE.
Can some one tell me what it is/does?

'Seek out new life and civilizations'	| Brynn Rogers    Honeywell S&RC
					| Internet: rogers@src.honeywell.com
       "Honey, come see what I   	| UUCP: rogers@srcsip.uucp
        found in the refrigerator!"	| !: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyb}!srcsip!rogers
	^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   JOVE == "Jonathan's Own Video Editor".

   It is a C programming enviroment text editor. It is used on UNIX, XENIX
   computer systems primarily. It is big. But it has a lot of nice features
   that lend it well to C programming. If you're a real fanatic you can
   download the sources and recompile it (lots of changes and debugging
   tricks here) and get it to work under MS-DOS.

   If you liked EMACS or Micro-Emacs or GNU-Macs, or XVIEW you would likely
   really love it as a editor and working enviroment.

<This information is provided by an individual and is not nor should be
 construed  as  being  provided  by  Radio  Shack or Tandy Corp.  Radio
 Shack/Tandy Corp has no obligation to support the information provided
 in  any way. >

						Earl W. Bollinger
						@ <trsvax!earl>

"You were in the Clone Wars!", said Luke excitedly.
"Yes", replied Obi Wan, "I was a DOS programmer. But that was before the dark
 times, before OS2."

pthiesse@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Paul Thiessen) (02/03/89)

In article <15842@srcsip.UUCP>, rogers@orion.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Brynn Rogers)
writes:

> I have heard a number of people talk about JOVE.
> Can some one tell me what it is/does?

JOVE is an screen interactive text editor (it has good cursor and screen
controlling capabilities), I guess mostly for UNIX systems. It's a lot like
your average PC word-processor, with windows and without menus. It's got a
mess of commands accessible via a command line. You can also do neat things
like define macros and define set-ups for different types of files, like a
c-mode and a text mode. It's a good editor. In fact, I'm using it right now
to write this article!

                   Paul Thiessen

joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Josh Sirota) (02/03/89)

In article <216100081@trsvax> earl@trsvax.UUCP writes:
> Brynn Rogers asked:
>> I have heard a number of people talk about JOVE.
>> Can some one tell me what it is/does?
>
> JOVE == "Jonathan's Own Video Editor".
>
> It is a C programming enviroment text editor. It is used on UNIX, XENIX
> computer systems primarily. It is big. But it has a lot of nice features
> that lend it well to C programming. If you're a real fanatic you can
> download the sources and recompile it (lots of changes and debugging tricks
> here) and get it to work under MS-DOS.

This is generally false.

Firstly, I'm qualified to say this because the Jonathan Payne, who wrote
it, is a friend of mine.

Jove stands for "Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs".  It was conceived and
written on UNIX 2.9BSD on a PDP-11/70 originally.  That it is primarily
used on XENIX systems is not necessarily the case - it's quite at home on
nearly every version of UNIX you can find, as well as the PC and the Mac.

It's not huge, especially when compared with something like GNU Emacs.  It
is GREAT for C programming, and has lisp-mode for nice automatic lisp-style
indenting as well.  I use it for absolutely everything on every system I
ever use.  It's fast, elegant, clean, and very powerful and customizable.

You generally don't have to do ANYTHING to the source to get it to compile
on a PC, provided that you have MSC 5.0 and NDMAKE.  I should qualify that.
Version 4.9 was the last version that had PC-compatible code in it.  4.11 is
available now for UNIX systems, but much of the keymapping code was redone
in the process and 4.11 sources will not yet compile on the PC.  But it's
coming.  In any case, I'm not sure what the latest version on Simtel20 is,
but if it's 4.9 then you should be able to just unarchive it and compile it,
unchanged.

It's a GREAT editor.  Try it.  It's copyrighted, but there's no charge for
its use.

> If you liked EMACS or Micro-Emacs or GNU-Macs, or XVIEW you would likely
> really love it as a editor and working enviroment.

This is true.  Even on DOS you can run processes in windows, etc.

Josh
--
Josh Sirota
INTERNET: joss@uhura.cc.rochester.edu        BITNET: joss_ss@uordbv.bitnet

charette@edsews.EDS.COM (Mark A. Charette) (02/04/89)

In article <216100081@trsvax>, earl@trsvax.UUCP writes:
>    JOVE == "Jonathan's Own Video Editor".
In my Jove documentation, it was "Jonathan's Own Version of Emacs"
>    It is a C programming enviroment text editor. It is used on UNIX, XENIX
Also has lisp ("s-grind") mode and text mode (word-wrap)
>    computer systems primarily. It is big. But it has a lot of nice features
>    that lend it well to C programming.
Not TOO big. Around 300k or so.
> If you're a real fanatic you can
>    download the sources and recompile it (lots of changes and debugging
>    tricks here) and get it to work under MS-DOS.
Huh? The only trick was editing one file so I could define function keys to
do some things faster than typing in the command (like F1 being bound to
'apropos') I never could figure out how to invoke 'meta-2' or 'meta-3' from
the keyboad.
>    If you liked EMACS or Micro-Emacs or GNU-Macs, or XVIEW you would likely
>    really love it as a editor and working enviroment.
Agreed - works beautifully (on my PC at home, Apollos, Suns, DECs, HPs,
SGIs, etc. etc. etc.).

Also, on a PC you can invoke the EGA mode for more lines.

Earl - maybe you have an older version (I picked up my version from the
uunet archives last year) ?

--
Mark Charette             "People only like me when I'm dumb!", he said.
Electronic Data Systems   "I like you a lot." was the reply.