[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MINIX?

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) (02/01/89)

I have just upgraded my 286 to 386 with an Inboard AT and have an interest
in learning about UNIX and the like.  I am told that MINIX is a public
domain UNIX-like program that can be compiled for an IBM system.  Does anyone
know if MINIX is public domain and if so, where it might be found.
Also, would anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives???

I need something to do with this 386 now!!!

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
Sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak

alanf%smile@Sun.COM (Alan Fargusson @ peace with the world) (02/02/89)

In article <14150@cup.portal.com>, Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) writes:
> I have just upgraded my 286 to 386 with an Inboard AT and have an interest
> in learning about UNIX and the like.  I am told that MINIX is a public
> domain UNIX-like program that can be compiled for an IBM system.  Does anyone
> know if MINIX is public domain and if so, where it might be found.
> Also, would anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives???
>
> I need something to do with this 386 now!!!
>
> Vaprak@cup.portal.com
> Sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak

MINIX is copyrighted by Printice Hall.  No part of MINIX is public domain.
Some of the utilities were addapted from public domain source.  MINIX is
cheap though.  It is about $80.  I don't have Printice Hall's  number, but
you can probably get it from information.

One caution: make sure that you get the version you want.  I think you want
the PC/AT version.
Alan Fargusson		Sun Microsystems
alanf@sun.com		..!sun!alanf

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (02/02/89)

In article <14150@cup.portal.com> Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) writes:
> I am told that MINIX is a public
>domain UNIX-like program that can be compiled for an IBM system.

MINIX is not public domain, rather a commercial UNIX look-alike from I believe
Prentice Hall.  There's a usenet newsgroup devoted to MINIX somewhere, so
check around and post your questions there...

							Ron

|  "This whole right brain, left brain thing is just a plot on the part        |
|   of the humanities depart. to excuse their never having learned any science"|
|   Roger Dell, Prof. of Mathematics                                           |
|                                        Ronald Woan, woan@cory.berkeley.edu   |

coulter@hpclisp.HP.COM (Michael Coulter) (02/03/89)

There is a MINIX book which includes an order form for the MINIX source, etc.
It's a good book.  Also, check out the comp.os.minix notes file.

-- Michael Coulter              coulter%hpda@hplabs.hp.com

jr@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (02/04/89)

In article <14150@cup.portal.com> Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) writes:
>Does anyone
>know if MINIX is public domain and if so, where it might be found.
>Also, would anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives???

MINIX is covered in all the detail you could like in comp.os.minix.  It's
described fully in Andy Tannenbaum's book, which is a terrific book no matter
what operating system you run.  Check into comp.os.minix & get the word
straight from the horse's mouth.
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr