[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seeking Inboard386/PC advice

jkennedy@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Joel Kennedy) (02/02/89)

Greetings.  I am an XT clone owner looking to upgrade to
a 386 in some way.  The Inboard/pc looks to be the most
economical way.  My applications are such that slow
video access doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about
the disk access.  I currently have an ST-238 and find
that quite fine, for now.  Someday, I expect to want
to move on to something larger and faster.  Will that be
possible without bagging the inboard and getting a real
386 system?  What other drawbacks are there to this
approach that will be un-overcomeable?  Advice in general?

Another appealing, although much more expensive approach
is the Hauppauge board.  Is it worth it?  Will it do
everything I've ever wanted, at least those relating to
computers?  Can I use my ST-238 in that?  Where is it
available and for how much?  Other suggestions in general?

Very much thanks in advance.  Joel K.

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (02/03/89)

For owners of 5-slot or 8-slot 8088 machines, there have been numerous
postings about upgrade paths, usually 286 or 386 accelerator boards
vs replacement 286 or 386 motherboards.  The former route leaves you
with your 8-bit bus and compatibility with 8-bit cards.  The latter
is a truer upgrade, but requires you to spend money on new controllers
etc.

The question is, what 286 upgrade boards include video, memory (EMS),and
HDC and FDC already on the board.  I know the Western Digital board
does, although it has EGA video.  Are their other with VGA video?

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27712  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (02/03/89)

In article <6324@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:
|The question is, what 286 upgrade boards include video, memory (EMS),and
|HDC and FDC already on the board.  I know the Western Digital board
|does, although it has EGA video.  Are their other with VGA video?

Are you aware the WD has an enhanced EGA, offering 640x480? And it's
only $550, quantity one, with no memory (but prices have been coming
down lately).

I've been testing a WD286 lately and was planning on posting my
findings.  Just yesterday I did some disk transfer speed measurements
with spinrite. 520 Kbytes/sec with an ST-506 drive! That's got to be
close to the limit.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
"In Texas, they run the red light after it turns red."

ewa@ketu.sun.com (Ernest Adams) (02/04/89)

Joel Kennedy wrote:
> Greetings.  I am an XT clone owner looking to upgrade to
> a 386 in some way.  The Inboard/pc looks to be the most
> economical way.  My applications are such that slow
> video access doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about
> the disk access.  I currently have an ST-238 and find
> that quite fine, for now.  Someday, I expect to want
> to move on to something larger and faster.  Will that be
> possible without bagging the inboard and getting a real
> 386 system?  What other drawbacks are there to this
> approach that will be un-overcomeable?  Advice in general?

I'm in the same position exactly: XT clone, a certain investment
in hardware which I want to keep, etc.  In addition, I'd like
to know:

Do I have to buy a new OS?  I have DOS 3.1.

What tends to happen to timing-critical software like games when you do this?

Can I still use my 360K floppy drives?

... and so on.  Please CC me on any answers you have for Joel.

By the way, thanks to all the people who helped me on the joystick question.
I think I've got it down now.

                                        Ernest W. Adams
                                        silvlis!ewa

I don't speak for Silvar-Lisco, and they don't speak for me.  We're even.