[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Replacement Board for a Dell

pcb@usl.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (01/25/89)

I have an older Dell computer, called a PC's Limited AT tm.
It runs a 6 & 8 mhz, ega, 20mb HD, 1MB memory and small footprint.
(You know, the one that won't run a PGA)

I have been looking for information on how to make the machine faster
with an add in board or a replacement mother board.  I have found
nothing!?

Dell will not give me any advice, guarantees, ...???  They said
'If you want a faster machine, buy our new one'. I said '... :-(
but i am a stockholder!@!@$#@$#$'

Anyway,  Has anyone tried to upgrade a machine like this?

Thanks in advance
pcb@usl.usl.edu   csnet

wlat_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Wayne Lattery) (02/05/89)

In article <653@usl.usl.edu> pcb@usl.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>I have an older Dell computer, called a PC's Limited AT tm.
>It runs a 6 & 8 mhz, ega, 20mb HD, 1MB memory and small footprint.
>(You know, the one that won't run a PGA)
>
>I have been looking for information on how to make the machine faster
>with an add in board or a replacement mother board.  I have found
>nothing!?
>
>Dell will not give me any advice, guarantees, ...???  They said
>'If you want a faster machine, buy our new one'. I said '... :-(
>but i am a stockholder!@!@$#@$#$'
>
>Anyway,  Has anyone tried to upgrade a machine like this?
>
>Thanks in advance
>pcb@usl.usl.edu   csnet

 If you want to upgrade/replace the motherboard, I remember reading about a
replacement motherboard called the Renegade 386 (if you want to go that for)
. It is advertised in the December 1988 issue of BYTE magazine at a list price
of a little over $1600 dollars and features a 16 MHz Intel 386 chip.  The
advertisement is within the first 100 pages of Byte. I don't really remember
what the page number is (the issue is at home). But I am sure that any good
library or maybe a friend might have a copy of Byte.

                         Wayne N. Lattery

                   (The University of Rochester)

                        (The University of Rochester)
. The