[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Are 720K floppies really 1.44M in disguise?

miker@csupwb.colostate.edu (Mike Riley) (02/05/89)

There was an ad in this February's Byte magazine, on p30 that really caught
my attention.  To summarize, the company advertizing claimed that they had
a product that would allow you to format 720K disks to 1.44M, reliably.

The claimed that the media used in both disk types was exactly the same,
and that the only reason you couldn't format your 720K disk to 1.44M was
that the plastic casing was not suitable.

Is there anybody out there on the net that can confirm this?  Is is
snake-oil salesmanship, or are the disk manufacturers/marketers ripping
us off?  Is it at all possible that there's any middle ground?  Enquiring
minds (and disk purchasers) want to know!

|Mike Riley    Internet: miker@csupwb.ucc.colostate.edu   |
|              Bitnet:   miker@csugreen.bitnet            |

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (02/06/89)

In article <1140@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> miker@csupwb.colostate.edu (Mike Riley) writes:
>[People claim that 720K and 1.44M floppies are really the same.]

The oxide on 720K disks and 1.44M disks really is different.  That said, I
find that more often than not I can format 720K disks as 1.44M and they work
perfectly well.  I don't keep anything I really care about on those disks,
since the chance of losing the data is somewhat higher than otherwise.

The gizmo advertised in Byte and other magazines is really just a hole punch.
There is a hole in the corner of real 1.44M disks so that the drive can tell
what kind of disk it is.  On most 1.44M drives (other than IBM's) it won't
let you treat a disk without the hole as 1.44M.  I'm sure that the hole punch
works, but I'm not putting my important backups on disks run so far out of
spec.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

akm@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/06/89)

I've been setting up a NEC PowerMate Portable that takes 1.44 MB disks.
I had a bunch of disks from the owner to format, which I did, and got
1.44 MB disks. I now find that they are in fact only 720 K, and they
had no problems getting formatted.

Years ago, I used to format 5.25" SSDD as DSDD (180K as 360K) without
any difficulty.

If you are interested, I've been using Sonly and 3M disks.

tim@j.cc.purdue.edu (Timothy Lange) (02/06/89)

Important!  Data loss can occur!  High density disks have a different
chemical makeup than double density disks.  High density disks use a
Chromium oxide, double density uses an Iron oxide coating.  Other than
that the 3.5" disks are the same (the high also has more sectors per
track).  As for the 5.25" disks there are more differences.
Formatting double density disks at high density is risky business,
data loss will occur over time due to a mismatch in the recording
frequency and the media composition.
--
Timothy Lange / Purdue University Computing Center / Mathematical Sciences Bldg
West Lafayette, IN  47907 / 317-494-1787 / tim@j.cc.purdue.edu / CIS 75410,525

jls@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Jerome Schneider) (02/07/89)

Several have implied that using 720k disks as 1.44m "seems to work OK". I'm
curious if this is the same "seems to work" used for SRB O-ring analysis, or
can someone give a short technical explanation.  I would think bit density
per inch, number of tracks per side, single or double sides, special encoding
schemes are the type of info that could lead to a more definitive answer.
--
Jerome Schneider              UUCP: killer!jls.DALLAS.TX.US (guest account)
Aspen Technology Group        Ft. Collins, CO    Voice: (303) 484-8466

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (02/07/89)

In article <1140@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, miker@csupwb.colostate.edu (Mike Riley) writes:

> There was an ad in this February's Byte magazine, on p30 that really caught
> my attention.  To summarize, the company advertizing claimed that they had
> a product that would allow you to format 720K disks to 1.44M, reliably.
>
> The claimed that the media used in both disk types was exactly the same,
> and that the only reason you couldn't format your 720K disk to 1.44M was
> that the plastic casing was not suitable.

The IBM PS/2 computers got a lot of flack for not even having a sensor
for the extra notch (hole) -- so they cannot even tell which kind of
diskette is installed (at least our early 60 and 50s cannot).  I have
formatted and used some 720K diskettes as 1.44M diskettes, and of 2
boxes of 10 each, perhaps 15 actually would format and operate the
day I formatted them.  On the other hand, none are functional today.

I do not know exactly what the difference is, but don't put anything
permanent on a 720 used as a 1.44!  On the other hand, if you are just
carrying stuff from one machine to another there seems to be no problem.

Charles
>  _________________________________________________________
> |Mike Riley    Internet: miker@csupwb.ucc.colostate.edu   |
> |              Bitnet:   miker@csugreen.bitnet            |

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) (02/08/89)

akm@uoregon.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) writes:

> Years ago, I used to format 5.25" SSDD as DSDD (180K as 360K) without
> any difficulty.
                         NEVER do this!!!!
After prolonged abuse like this, the floppy drive can be *destroyed*.

     Single-sided disks are usually burnished/polished only on the single
recording side.  The other side is rougher, causing wear hardening of the
disk read/write head.  Wear hardening is a phenomenon where the material
of the head loses its magnetic properties, causing the effective read/write
gap on the head to back away from the surface of the head.  This increases
the effective distance from the gap to the surface, lowering the signal
levels and increasing the chance of error.  Eventually, enough damage will
be done that nothing can be reliably written or read.

     I learned this while working for the division of Hewlett-Packard that
made 8" and 5.25" floppy drives, and the same thing applies to the 3.5" units.

Art Boyne, boyne@hplvla.HP.COM