[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Floppy Disk Drivers

rs2@houxv.ATT.COM (R.SWITZER) (02/02/89)

Are any drivers available which will read and write
Single Density floppies?  If so, can someone
please point me to the BBS, company, or person(s)
where I could get it?

Thanks for any info and help.

Robert Switzer

mjg@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael Gingell) (02/08/89)

In article <833@houxv.ATT.COM>, rs2@houxv.ATT.COM (R.SWITZER) writes:
> Are any drivers available which will read and write
> Single Density floppies?  If so, can someone

Since IBM had the forsight to tie the density select line on the
floppy disk controller permanently to double density mode there
is no direct way to read single density with the hardware as it
exists.

However Compaticard from MicroSolutions is a plug in floppy
controller card which will read single density as well as normal
functions.  Their Uniform PC software will use this card if plugged
in to read single density CP/M disks.

Note their newer Compaticard II which is cheaper will not read SD.

Mike Gingell    ...ecsvax!mjg