[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Environment Space

nadya@dartvax.UUCP (JT and Nadya) (07/23/87)

I know this has probably been asked forty times in the last year, but...

I'm running DOS 3.10 on a Televideo Telecat IBM clone, and I've run out of
environment space setting up my path and what-not.  Is there a way to enlarge
this?

Thanks in advance

--
JT	"There are those few - somber in manner, refined of mind -
	who pride themselves in the seriousness with which they conduct

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (07/24/87)

Re: Environment space in COMMAND.COM

In your CONFIG.SYS file, insert a line like:

    shell=command.com c: /e:nn /p

The "c:" part tells the resident part of COMMAND.COM where to find the
transient part.

The "/e:nn" part controls how big an environment space is desired.  The "nn"
is a number from 10 to 62 (defaulting to 10) indicating how many 16-byte
chunks of memory are to be reserved for the environment space.

The "/p" tells that this copy of COMMAND.COM is to be permanent; also
causes AUTOEXEC.BAT to be executed.

This works for DOS 2.x and DOS 3.1

For DOS 3.2 (and probably 3.3), the value "nn" must be in bytes (max 32000)

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				1-447-4480
---------------------

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (07/25/87)

In article <6740@dartvax.UUCP> nadya@dartvax.UUCP (JT and Nadya) writes:
>I'm running DOS 3.10 on a Televideo Telecat IBM clone, and I've run out of
>environment space setting up my path and what-not.  Is there a way to enlarge
>this?

  One trick that I use is to put a lastdrive=Z line in my config.sys
  file. Then in autoexec.bat I put:

  subst F: C:\bin
  subst G: C:\dos\utility
  subst H: C:\what\ever\else
  path=F:\;G:\;H:\

  this may not extend the environment string size, but it saves room
  within the string.

   ihnp4!wlbr!etn-rad!jru

bw@hpcvlo.HP.COM (Bill Wilhelmi) (07/28/87)

In my CONFIG.SYS file I have the following line:

	SHELL = COMMAND.COM C:\ /P /E:30

The /E switch sets up the number of 16-byte  (I believe) paragraphs
of environment space.   If you switch to DOS 3.2, be forwarned that
the /E switch sets up the number of BYTES of environment space, not
paragraphs.

Bill Wilhelmi
Hewlett-Packard Company
Corvallis Workstation Operation
Corvallis, Oregon

keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mike) (10/09/87)

Hi,

I know this has been posted several times, but not when I needed it of
course. So, can someone give me details on increasing my environment
space? Please post directly to me...

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Keyles 			   UUCP   : rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!keyles
Rutgers University		   BITNET : 1005106@rutvm1
P.O Box 879  			   ARPANET: keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855		   FIDONET: 107/320
(201) 932-3237 			   SNAIL  : 4 Tiger Lilly Court
				            Sayreville, NJ 08872
				   VOICE  : (201) 390-4432

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (10/10/87)

In article <781@elbereth.rutgers.edu> keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mike) writes:

>So, can someone give me details on increasing my environment
>space?

All together now, boys and girls, with full harmony and feeling:

	WHAT VERSION DO YOU RUN?????????????????????

Seriously Mike (and everyone), as has been said *MANY* times, it does
absolutely *NO* good to ask for help here without telling us with what it
is that you need help.  I am sure that there are many willing to help
(myself included, when possible), but without adequate information, we may
as well attempt to supply accurate data concerning the alternate universe
around the corner!

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgMac fooi

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (10/12/87)

Well, Michael, do you or don't you have the information?  :-)

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (10/16/87)

n order to increase your environment space (which is in the DOS
manual), add the following in your config.sys:
shell=c:\command.com /E:xxxxx
where xxxx is an integer in the range 160 to 32768

khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) (01/30/89)

Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.

My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem

to work with MSDOS 3.20.

Thanks

alanf%smile@Sun.COM (Alan Fargusson @ peace with the world) (02/02/89)

In article <1134@khoo.sdl.UUCP>, khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) writes:
> Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.
>
> My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem
>
> to work with MSDOS 3.20.
>
> Thanks

I hate to say RTFM, but the answer is in there.  Setenv.exe is for 2.x systems.
For 3.x systems there is a line to add to config.sys.  I don't remember
exactly what it is but it is something like SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P:XXXX
where XXXX is the size in paragraphs of the environment.  /P is probably wrong
so check the manual.  I don't have access to MSC 5.0 anymore.
Alan Fargusson		Sun Microsystems
alanf@sun.com		..!sun!alanf

simcha@humming.UUCP (Simcha Lerner) (02/02/89)

To expand your environment, in your config.sys put an explicit
shell declaration line as follows:

shell=c:\command.com c:\ /p /e:nn

where nn is the environment size.

In 3.1 the /e option is an undocumented feature,
and nn is set in paragraphs (number of bytes/16).

In 3.2 and later, the /e option is documented, but
nn is set in bytes, not paragraphs.

the max. environment is 32KB, the min is 128B, and
the default is 620B.

For more information, look at the commands section
of your dos manual for the command called "command".
Also look in the section on config.sys for info on
shell.

[BTW: In the "old" days, various programs were around
that would patch command.com to create a larger environment.
The problem is that these programs were HIGHLY version
specific, and could corrupt the command.com of another
release of dos.]

simcha lerner
harvard!humming!simcha

ted@bangles.SGI.COM (Ted Wilcox) (02/03/89)

In article <1134@khoo.sdl.UUCP>, khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) writes:
> Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.
>
> My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem
> to work with MSDOS 3.20.

With 3.2, you don't need to use setenv.  I forget the exact format,
but you can specify options in your config.sys file which set aside
more environment space for command.com.  I think it's in the DOS manual
in the section on config.sys.

Hope this helps.
--

Ted.
ted@sgi.com

dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) (02/04/89)

In article <87891@sun.uucp> alanf%smile@Sun.COM (Alan Fargusson @ peace with the world) writes:
>In article <1134@khoo.sdl.UUCP>, khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) writes:
>> Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.
>> My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem
>> to work with MSDOS 3.20.
>
>I hate to say RTFM, but the answer is in there.  Setenv.exe is for 2.x systems.
>For 3.x systems there is a line to add to config.sys.  I don't remember
>exactly what it is but it is something like SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P:XXXX
>where XXXX is the size in paragraphs of the environment.  /P is probably wrong

Yup, /P is wrong, it should be /E, and XXXX specifies the number of
BYTES, not paragraphs to reserve for the environment space.  So if you
need to reserve 500 bytes this is what you should have in your
config.sys:
SHELL=COMMAND.COM /E:500
Hope this helps!
						Dani.
--
+/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\+
>           Dani Kadoch  --  R&D director  @  Computer Science House         <
>                      Rochester Institute of Technology                     <
>  UUCP:rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!dani    MCIMail:dani    BITNET:dnk8842@ritvax <

henders@mist.cs.orst.edu (B. Scott Henderson) (02/04/89)

To increase your environment space, simply add a line to
your config.sys file that looks like:

     shell=[drive:][\path]command.com /e:xxxx /p

where xxxx is the size in bytes you wish to reserve for the
environment (it will be rounded up to the nearest paragraph
boundary).  The /p option disables the 'exit' command for
this particular shell.

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (02/08/89)

>In article <1134@khoo.sdl.UUCP>, khoo@sdl.UUCP (Yong Khoo) writes:
> Can anyone provide info on expanding environment space for COMMAND.COM.
> My copy of setenv.exe that comes with Microsoft C 5.0 does not seem
> to work with MSDOS 3.20.

I hope I can clarify some of the confusion on this:

For DOS 3.1 and before, you need to say:

	shell=command.com /e:#### /p

where #### is the number of 16-byte paragraphs you want to reserve.

For DOS 3.2 and later, you need to say:

	shell=command.com /e:#### /p

where #### is the number of BYTES you want.  In both cases, the /p tells
DOS to go ahead and execute AUTOEXEC.BAT after this command.  You probably
want this.  You may also, of course, optionally specify a drive and directory
path for command.com.

Don't you just LOVE IBM?!?!?!? ;)-|-<

Marc Johnson

= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
= "Gimme the beat boys and free my soul, I wanna get lost in your rock & roll =
=                           ...and drift away"                                =