[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Public Domain Procomm?

marty@homxc.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT) (01/28/89)

In article <1384@arctic.nprdc.arpa>, snguyen@nprdc.arpa (Son Nguyen) writes:
> I have a public domain software "Procomm"....

Stop right there.  Procomm 2.4.2, which is the latest as far as I know,
is shareware, not public domain.  Public domain means not copyrighted.
Shareware is copyrighted, and anybody is allowed to give copies to
others to try out for a reasonable time, but if you continue to use it
you are required to pay for it.

Since I'm still trying out Procomm 2.4.2, and haven't paid for it yet,
I would be interested in knowing whether there is really a version I
wouldn't have to pay for.  So far my alternatives to Procomm 2.4.2 are
versions of Qmodem and Telix that cost even more to register, but it's
all a matter of price/performance ratio!

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858		Home (201) 946-8147
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!homxc!marty

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (01/29/89)

<5215@homxc.ATT.COM> marty@homxc.ATT.COM (M.B.BRILLIANT):
-
-Stop right there.  Procomm 2.4.2, which is the latest as far as I know,
-is shareware, not public domain.  Public domain means not copyrighted.
-Shareware is copyrighted, and anybody is allowed to give copies to
-others to try out for a reasonable time, but if you continue to use it
-you are required to pay for it.

I don't believe any version of Procomm was ever in the public domain, although
the copyright holders, Datastorm Technologies (nee' PIL Technologies) may not
have much remaining interest in versions prior to v2.4.2.

v2.4.2 has been supplanted by Procomm Plus, which is out in a demo version.
(This is on the border between "shareware" and straight commercial
products, in my opinion, although I still like the idea.)

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (01/31/89)

In article <16935@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:

> v2.4.2 has been supplanted by Procomm Plus, which is out in a demo version.
> (This is on the border between "shareware" and straight commercial
> products, in my opinion, although I still like the idea.)

My understanding is that Procomm V.2.4.2 is still being supported by
Datastorm and while it is unlikely there may be one more "maintenance
release". Procomm Plus is a commercial package based on Procomm but
with a much greater suite of features, there was a "test drive" version
of Procomm Plus but I believe it was crippled in some way (the copy I
had certianly was, I just never figured out if it was intentional on
the part of Datastorm).

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!soley	         VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623
              "I'm going to Disneyland" -- T. Bundy, Jan 24, 1989

bfbreedl@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) (02/06/89)

I have seen Procom 2.4.3 on several boards here in California. I
wondered if it was a "trojan", but was assured by the sysop of one
of the boards that he had checked it out with Datastorm's BBS
itself. The new release includes Ymodem-g among some other
changes.
--
Bob Breedlove  SYSOP: BOBsBBS (916/929-7511)
        pacbell!sactoh0!bfbreedl

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (02/06/89)

In article <392@ontenv.UUCP> soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>In article <16935@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>>
>> v2.4.2 has been supplanted by Procomm Plus, which is out in a demo version.
>> (This is on the border between "shareware" and straight commercial
>> products, in my opinion, although I still like the idea.)
>
>My understanding is that Procomm V.2.4.2 is still being supported by
>Datastorm and while it is unlikely there may be one more "maintenance
>release". Procomm Plus is a commercial package based on Procomm but
>with a much greater suite of features, there was a "test drive" version
>of Procomm Plus but I believe it was crippled in some way (the copy I
>had certianly was, I just never figured out if it was intentional on
>the part of Datastorm).
Here's the final word on Procomm:
Procomm 2.4.2 has just been replaced by 2.4.3, now available on SIMTEL-20
and elsewhere.  Procomm Plus is an enhanced version of Procomm.  Procomm
2.4.3 costs about $50 to register, and is available as shareware.
Procomm Plus version 1.1A costs about $90, I think, and is only available
with payment.  There are brain-damaged versions of Procomm Plus available
called "Test Drives" which are available as shareware, but they do not have
the full functionality of Procomm Plus, where as 2.4.3 is a fully working
version (real shareware).

Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531

schanck@catamaran.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (02/06/89)

In article <675@sactoh0.UUCP> bfbreedl@sactoh0.UUCP (Bob F. Breedlove) writes:
>I have seen Procom 2.4.3 on several boards here in California. I
>itself. The new release includes Ymodem-g among some other

How about Zmodem?

Chris

-=-
"I do not THINK in regular expressions, and I am not NP-complete!"
--- Christopher Schanck, occasional human being.
schanck@.cis.ohio-state.edu

news@netnews.upenn.edu (USENET News System) (02/06/89)

From: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman)

Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531

thaler@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Maurice Thaler) (02/06/89)

Actually I think PROCOMM 2.4.3 has XMODEM-1K-G, not YMODEM-G. They just
chose to mislabel it again.

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (02/07/89)

What capabilities do the Test Drive versions of PCPLUS lack?

Pete
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (02/07/89)

In article <598@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>What capabilities do the Test Drive versions of PCPLUS lack?

Well, the Test Drive includes only minimal documentation, a smaller file
transfer buffer, and the keyboard remapping facility is not included.  Also,
every time you use it you have to go through an annoying advertisement page.
The full blown version is really much much better.  Test Drive is an
appropriate name.

Andy Silverman
Internet: silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
CompuServe: 72261,531

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/89)

Not only is the Full (Commercial) version more feature-laden, but it has
fewer bugs! Of course, the latest release of PCPLUSTD (9/88?) claims to
have fixed them, as well...