[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WD Motherboard Info Wanted

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/09/89)

Has anyone out there used the Western Digital 12.5 MHz motherboard (the one
with everything but the kitchen sink built onto the board)? How do you like
it? Would it be suitable for an XT-to-AT upgrade (i.e. will it fit into an
XT case, or will it require a special box)? I'd be interested to hear about
anyone's experiences with other XT-sized AT motherboards, as well (I'll bet
you can guess where my tax return is going...)

Thanks.

smk@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Steve Kelley) (02/10/89)

In article <111700032@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>Has anyone out there used the Western Digital 12.5 MHz motherboard (the one
>with everything but the kitchen sink built onto the board)? How do you like
>it? Would it be suitable for an XT-to-AT upgrade (i.e. will it fit into an
>XT case, or will it require a special box)?

We use one in the lab and are very happy with it.  It's fast, it fits into an
XT or baby AT case (but not into a real AT case, I believe).  It has only 3 slots, but we didn't need any more.  (We run an ethernet card and an Artist graphics
 card in ours.)  The graphics (built into the board ) is Paradise Ega plus -
 640 X 480.  I don't know whether that is defeatable if you want to run VGA.

 In general, we thought it well worth the money (and don't forget you must buy
 SIMMS to feed it)  and will probably be buying more of them as we expand our
 work.

 Steve Kelley
 kelley@vet.purdue.edu

 Purdue University Cancer Center