[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Its not a virus but what is it?

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (02/09/89)

The gentleman in charge of one of our IBM PC labs here on campus brought
something to my attention that I had never seen before.  Its a
virus-like appearance of a diamond shaped ball which bounces around on
your screen.  It doesnt delete any files or change any data.  Its just a
pain.  If you install DOS again, it goes away but he couldnt find the
file that was causing the problem.  I know this is just something simple
that is being over looked but what is it???  Just some sort of
do-nothing screen saver or a virus-like nuisance?

Thanks for any and all comments,

*  Thanks to ALL for the help on my MKS Toolkit problem.      *
*  A special thanks to Mortice Kern Systems for the info      *
*  you sent me.                                               *

Mike McCann                        Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-21)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann
Clemson University                   Bitnet = mmccann@clemson.bitnet
Clemson, S.C. 29634-2803         DISCLAIMER = I speak only for myself.

NETOPRWA@NCSUVM.BITNET (Wayne Aiken) (02/10/89)

In article <4352@hubcap.UUCP>, mmccann@hubcap.UUDP (Mike McCann) writes:
>The gentleman in charge of one of our IBM PC labs here on campus brought
>something to my attention that I had never seen before.  Its a
>virus-like appearance of a diamond shaped ball which bounces around on
>your screen.  It doesnt delete any files or change any data.  Its just a
>pain.  If you install DOS again, it goes away but he couldnt find the
>file that was causing the problem.  I know this is just something simple
>that is being over looked but what is it???  Just some sort of
>do-nothing screen saver or a virus-like nuisance?

This is an old PC program called FACES, all it does is bounces the
"faces" all over any text screen.  It doesn't modify any part of any storage
device on-line, nor does it bother any critical part of memory.

It's just a nuisance or a gag to play on novice users, nothing more.

Wayne Aiken               netoprwa@ncsuvm.bitnet       "You'll all be eating
PO Box 30904              netoprwa@ncsuvm.ncsu.edu      COCKROACHES by the end
Raleigh, NC  27622        StarFleet BBS                 of the century!!!"
(919) 782-8171              (919) 782-3095                 ---"Bob"