[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Maxtor drive experience ?

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (02/02/89)

    Does anyone have any experience to relate on Maxtor 1140 disk
  drives ?  I'd be interested in any info, good or bad. Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

rmarks@KSP.Unisys.COM (Richard Marks) (02/03/89)

In article <221@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>    Does anyone have any experience to relate on Maxtor 1140 disk
>  drives ?  I'd be interested in any info, good or bad. Thanks.

We have had good experiences with the XT-1140.

We have 17 XT-1140's in our various Lisp Machines, 6 total in three of
our Unix boxes, and another 3 or 4 in PC's (inclding this one).  Low
failure rate.  The Maxtor salesman said a 30,000 mtbf and I think he means
it.  We lose about two disks a year out of the above 27.  Those have only
been from the Lisp machines by the way, random luck or maybe the Lisp boxes
stress the disks more.

Cost from Maxtor is around $1925.  Repair cost is about $750 for entire
reconditioning and $185 if just the circuit board goes.  This is for
fairly slow service.  Expedited service is an extra charge, I forget how
much.  Costs were from a year ago, may have changed.

I ran some timing tests with the XT-1140 on a 386 PC.  I used the standard
controller (not SCSI or ESDI or RLL).  I compared it to a 40 meg (fast) CDC
disk on a 286 box.

                  8mb sequnetial create     1000 random accesses
     286 CDC           49 secs                   203 secs
     386 Maxtor        65 secs                   195 secs

As one see, the Maxtor can be slower. This sometimes shows on program startup
from disk.  The 386 is a tad slower to get a program going then the 286.
(I know about RAM disk but that is not the subject).  Does anyone have hard
data on other large disks on PC's??

Richard Marks
rmarks@KSP.unisys.COM

Ed.Maurer@f7.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Maurer) (02/04/89)

We had standardized on the Maxtors @ Irving Trust (now Bank of NY) for
AT Novell servers when I was LAN manager there - partially for price,
Novell support. We used them with Adaptec controllers / disk
co-processors for heavy applications. Somewhat erratic in the noise
department - not relevant to a dedicated server, but there were a
few I wouldn't want to have on my desk. Otherwise, fairly reliable,
solid performers, particularly with the Adaptec. I personally wouldnt
put them in the same league with Core or Priam, but a step ahead of
the Seagate/Miniscribe crowd.
--
_   /|  | Fidonet  : 369/2 [(305) 421-8593] Brave Mew World South
\'o.O'  | Internet : muadib.FIDONET.ORG

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/11/89)

In article <666@bbking.KSP.Unisys.COM> rmarks@KSP.Unisys.COM (Richard Marks) writes:
>In article <221@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>>    Does anyone have any experience to relate on Maxtor 1140 disk
>>  drives ?  I'd be interested in any info, good or bad. Thanks.
>

>We have had good experiences with the XT-1140.

So have we.  I sent this via e-mail but decided others may find it
interesting/useful:

The XT-1140 is the same drive as the XT-2190. Apparently Maxtor is
willing to guarantee the inner-most 220 tracks if you're willing to
part with more money. We've successfully formatted and used the
1140's as 2190's but it takes something other than the DOS hard-disk
driver to access tracks 1024-1224.  One machine is even running an
Adaptec 2732 RLL controller with the "extended" 1140 and ends up
with a formatted capacity of slightly over 244 megabytes. And, yes,
it's been reliable, showing no signs of "presbyophrenia."

kEITH