[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Fido-compatable message reader wanted

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (02/10/89)

I have recently gotten and set up UFGATE, which is a news/mail package that
runs on the PC.  Although it includes the translation software to go between
Usenet/UUCP and Fido, and a uucico(1) implimentation, it doesn't include a
message reader.  Since I have no desire to set up an Opus BBS just to use the
message-reading portion of it, I'm looking for a Fido-compatable message
reader to use with UFGATE.

I've already tried Sirius, OverDrive, and MSGED.  I never got Sirius to run
(probably because of lack of documentation, and because I didn't know how to
generate the proper config file), and I'm using MSGED now.  However, I don't
like MSGED's interface, its editor, and just the way it works.  Is there
another one out there?

Note:  I need a message reader who's editor will allow the entry of a ^A
(ASCII 0x01) into a message.  For some reason, UFGATE refuses to export a
message unless the first line starts with a "^AUUCP".  The manual says "To:"
will also work, but I haven't gotten it to.

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP          : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (02/11/89)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) wrote:
> I have recently gotten and set up UFGATE, which is a news/mail package that
> runs on the PC.
    You can download a file called MSG.ARC from the Late Night
    Software BBS (415-695-0759).  It is a basic Fido Style
    message reader/poster that will let you use your favorite
    editor.

> Note:  I need a message reader who's editor will allow the entry of a ^A
> (ASCII 0x01) into a message.  For some reason, UFGATE refuses to export a
> message unless the first line starts with a "^AUUCP".  The manual says "To:"
> will also work, but I haven't gotten it to.
     You should be able to enter a "To: <bang or domain address>"
     on the first line and MAILOUT will handle it properly.  You
     do not need to enter a ^A as the first char.   Sorry if the
     manual was not clear on this.  I will look into this and
     change the docs approriately.

		 Tim

--
 ...sun!hoptoad!\                                     Tim Pozar
                 >fidogate!pozar               Fido:  1:125/406
  ...lll-winken!/                            PaBell:  (415) 788-3904
       USNail:  KKSF / 77 Maiden Lane /  San Francisco CA 94108