[comp.sys.ibm.pc] seek advise buying a 286/12

jng@s.cs.uiuc.edu (02/02/89)

Hi folks, I am going to buy a 286 in the near future, and since there is so
many AT compatible around, I would like to ask you experts to help me finding
what I want. I have done a little bit of survey and the following is the
Specifications:

* 80286/12 processor at 12 or 6 MHz switchable system speed
* 0 wait-states
* 1 Mb RAM (expandable to maybe 2 Mb for later investment)
* 1.2 Mb 5.25" drive
* 1.44 Mb 3.5" drive  (get it from CompuAdd for $89)
* 40 Mb Hard drive
* 1 parallel, 2 serial ports
* 101 key keyboard
* VGA board and adaptor
* 2400 baud modem (internal prefered) get it from CompuAdd for $139

Of the above spec., CompuAdd 286/12 will almost do the job with $2307 (almost,
because CompuAdd 286/12 only have 512K RAM expandable to 1 Mb, and I really
want more room for expansion), Then the new CompuAdd 286/16 will perfectly
fit the spec. with $500 more (ie. $2807), but with $2807, how would those
Gateway 2000 16MHz EGA and Gateway 386SX, AST.... sound? So I would say $2800
should be my upper limits.

I am looking for cost and reliability, so if you have any comment or recommend-
ation, please post or email me, Thanks! I will post whatever I received maybe
a week or two later, I think there might be people in need of this kind of
advise, too.

--Joseph Ng   University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign--

ARPANET: jng@s.cs.uiuc.edu
BITNET : jng%s.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet
CSNET  : jng@uiuc.csnet
USENET : uiucdcs!uiucdcsm!jng

jng@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/07/89)

This is Joseph Ng again, since I just found out that there have been mailing
problem to my account, although now it is fixed, I think I may have missed
all the responses emailing to me since last Thursday, so if any of you have
send me some advise on the buying of the 286 machine, would you please send
the comments again, also my email address is now:
ARPA: jng@m.cs.uiuc.edu
BITNET: jng%m.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

Sorry guys, and Thanks in advance!

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (02/10/89)

Buy a copy of Computer Shopper.  There are numberless ads for
these machines.  I have done business with May Computers.  They
are cheap and their computers work.  Advice after the sale from
these places can be spotty due to low budgets and sometimes
language barriers.  Places like JDR are a little more expensive,
but are very customer oriented, and have 800 numbers for
technical advice, good return policies, etc.

If you don't know just what you want, I would suggest a larger
outfit.  If you know, you can save a lot of money by picking
carefully from the discount dealers.

mattp@oakhill.UUCP (Matt Pressly) (02/11/89)

The August 1988 issue of PC-World had a review of several '286 machines,
each selling for under $2000, fully equipped.  I don't remember all the
machines reviewed, but they concluded the Blackship '286(12 MHz) was the
best buy at ~$1700 (40 MB HD, monochrome, 1MB (80 ns) RAM, etc.).

--
address: mattp@oakhill

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (02/11/89)

In article <11250057@hpldola.HP.COM> ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) writes:
>Buy a copy of Computer Shopper.  There are numberless ads for
>these machines.

There were also reviews of a great many such machines in PC Magaszine in
the last month or so... shouldn't be too hard to find. They had a few
they liked.  Also, InfoWorld just reviewed a bunch of 286/16 and 20
machines, some of which aren't THAT much more costly than the 12 MHz
counterparts...

-Antonio Romero    romero@confidence.princeton.edu