[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Questions about purchasing a modem.

mguyott@mirror.UUCP (Marc Guyott) (02/02/89)

Has anyone done business with:

                  Priority 1 Electronics
                  21622 Plummer St.
                  Chatsworth, CA  91311

If you have, what did you think of them?  This is the company that is
enclosing a brief catalogue with each issue of BYTE magazine.

I am asking because I am considering purchasing a "ZIPPER+" modem from them.
This is a 2400 buad modem for $129.99 ($159.99 with lifetime warranty).  They
claim to be HAYES compatible and this sounds like a really good price to me.
Has anyone purchased one of these modems?  Are there any other brands out
there for a reasonable price (under $250.00) that anyone would highly
recommend?
                                       Marc
----
              "All my life I always wanted to BE somebody.
               I see now I should have been more specific."
                             Jane Wagner
Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777

jeffw@sting.uucp (Jeff Wallace) (02/08/89)

In article <22851@mirror.UUCP> mguyott@prism.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) writes:

>Has anyone done business with:
>
>                  Priority 1 Electronics
>                  21622 Plummer St.
>                  Chatsworth, CA  91311
>
>If you have, what did you think of them?  This is the company that is
>enclosing a brief catalogue with each issue of BYTE magazine.
>
>I am asking because I am considering purchasing a "ZIPPER+" modem from them.
>This is a 2400 buad modem for $129.99 ($159.99 with lifetime warranty).  They
>claim to be HAYES compatible and this sounds like a really good price to me.
>Has anyone purchased one of these modems?  Are there any other brands out
>there for a reasonable price (under $250.00) that anyone would highly
>recommend?

From personal experience, I'd have to say that Priority 1 is not
the swiftest bunch of guys in the computer business.  A client of
mine signed up for a training course for PC Excel that Priority 1
was offering.  He showed up and waited 30 minutes for the
"instructor" to arrive.  The instructor discovered that Excel had
not been installed on the PCs and they only had 3-1/2" disks around
the office.  Priority also misspelled both his name and his address
on his registration.  Basically, I'm not sure I'd trust them to do
anything technical since they seem to be incapable of handling
simpler tasks.

In the world of fairly inexpensive 2400 baud modems, I recommend
Practical Peripherals.  Comes with 5-year warrantee.  I've had no
trouble with the three that I've purchased/recommended over the
last two years.  They are Hayes-compatible, good quality modems.
Not quite as cheap though.  I believe they list for $199.

Jeff Wallace		ARPA/Internet: jeffw@scam.Berkeley.Edu
U.C. Berkeley		UUCP: ...!ucbvax!scam!jeffw

Derk@cup.portal.com (DERK ALLEN GATES) (02/12/89)

I have a Swan 2400e modem that I got from Tussey Computer Products in Texas.
It was $140, external and has all LED lamps.  I've has no problems with it and
you get free Federal Express shipping!
	I don't have to phone number handy but they advertise in most computer
magazines.

			Derk Gates@cup.portal.com