[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PCMagazine IRS

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (02/01/89)

In article <87555@sun.uucp>, jborza%durgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) writes:
 > PC Magazine published a utility named DCACHE.COM which can be downloaded
 > from their Interactive Reader Service BBS in either source (.ASM) or
 > binary (.COM).  Their number is (212) 696-0360.  1200/2400 N,8,1
 > (Xmodem).

The PC Magazine IRS is no longer up.  It has been replaced with PC MagNet,
which is (unfortunately) offered through CompuServe.  Which means you have
to pay the Tymnet or Telenet charges (or the LD charges if you dial direct),
plus the CompuServe charges.  Ungh.  Anyway, instructions for joining PC
MagNet can be found in the Utilities or PC Lab Notes column of any
recent issue of PC Magazine (in the Productivity section).

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP          : mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

jborza%burgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) (02/02/89)

In article <41.23E6AB8B@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

> In article <87555@sun.uucp>, jborza%durgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) writes:
>  > PC Magazine published a utility named DCACHE.COM which can be downloaded
>  > from their Interactive Reader Service BBS in either source (.ASM) or
>  > binary (.COM).  Their number is (212) 696-0360.  1200/2400 N,8,1
>  > (Xmodem).
>
> The PC Magazine IRS is no longer up.  It has been replaced with PC MagNet,
> which is (unfortunately) offered through CompuServe.  Which means you have
> to pay the Tymnet or Telenet charges (or the LD charges if you dial direct),
> plus the CompuServe charges.  Ungh.  Anyway, instructions for joining PC
> MagNet can be found in the Utilities or PC Lab Notes column of any
> recent issue of PC Magazine (in the Productivity section).
> Marc Unangst

Au contraire, sir.  They (PC Mag.) DID shut-down their West Coast number but
the N.Y. City number was still up as of 1/28 (Sat) when I downloaded SMOOTH.ASM
from a recent issue.  I'll continue to use the NY number as long as it's
still working, even though the call is $3-4.  That investment is a LOT cheap-
er than paying Compu$erve their #/flesh.  I'm certain the mag. wants to
soft-pedal the continued existence of the IRS but someone there (hooray!)
is keeping it running.  Use it sparingly (late night, weekends) and it's
a bargain!  P.S. for what it's worth, I use Sprint on those LD calls at 2400
baud and have NEVER lost the connection.
Jim Borza - Sun Microsystems, Milpitas, Calif.

Disclaimer?  Sure, why not?

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (02/03/89)

In article <41.23E6AB8B@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

.> In article <87555@sun.uucp>, jborza%durgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) writes:
.>  > PC Magazine published a utility named DCACHE.COM which can be downloaded
.>  > from their Interactive Reader Service BBS in either source (.ASM) or
.>  > binary (.COM).  Their number is (212) 696-0360.  1200/2400 N,8,1
.>  > (Xmodem).
.>
.> The PC Magazine IRS is no longer up.  It has been replaced with PC MagNet,
.> which is (unfortunately) offered through CompuServe.  Which means you have
.> to pay the Tymnet or Telenet charges (or the LD charges if you dial direct),
.> plus the CompuServe charges.  Ungh.  Anyway, instructions for joining PC
.> MagNet can be found in the Utilities or PC Lab Notes column of any
.> recent issue of PC Magazine (in the Productivity section).

The information about PC MagNet is correct, but not that about PC IRS.
I downloaded from it only last night.  There is just one problem:
It only can run 1200 bps, so downloading is like watching paint dry.

Forrest Gehrke

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (02/04/89)

In article <41.23E6AB8B@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>The PC Magazine IRS is no longer up.  It has been replaced with PC MagNet,

I've been on the IRS as recently as two weeks ago.
The IRS has been "de-emphasized" since PCMagnet was created,
but I've never seen a formal declaration of its demise. Have you?
If not, please don't spread rumor veiled as fact.....

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (02/05/89)

In article <40256@clyde.ATT.COM> feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) writes:

> <Stuff about PC-Magazine's IRS deleted>
>
>The information about PC MagNet is correct, but not that about PC IRS.
>I downloaded from it only last night.  There is just one problem:
>It only can run 1200 bps, so downloading is like watching paint dry.

The New York number has 28 incoming lines. However. only 11 of them
are 2400 bps. The rest are 1200 bps. Therefore it is possible to
get stuck with a 1200 bps line if all of the 2400 bps lines are
busy. These numbers are dated; As 1200 bps modems wear out, they
replace them with 2400 bps modems, so there may be more 2400 bps
modems, but as pointed out, there is at least 1 running at 1200 bps.
--
-------------
Michael Tighe

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/09/89)

I've tried to sign on -- rings but no answer -- 212 696 0360 is the
number I found in an old PCMag.  Is this still the current number?

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (02/11/89)

In article <6368@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
> I've tried to sign on -- rings but no answer -- 212 696 0360 is the
> number I found in an old PCMag.  Is this still the current number?

I successfully called the PC Mag IRS using 212-696-0360 today (&
yesterday & ...)  It's often busy.  Be persistent.
				Rick Carle

efv@mbunix.mitre.org (Eugene F. Vogt) (02/14/89)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: PC Magazine IRS (was "Re: Dos disk buffering schemes (BUFFERS=)")
In article <1271@raybed2.UUCP> rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) writes:
>In article <6368@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>> I've tried to sign on -- rings but no answer -- 212 696 0360 is the
>> number I found in an old PCMag.  Is this still the current number?
>
>I successfully called the PC Mag IRS using 212-696-0360 today (&
>yesterday & ...)  It's often busy.  Be persistent.
>				Rick Carle

I was able to connect over the weekend.  It took a while, but my
problem was not busy signals, it was no answers.  I set my comm
program to dial continuously while I paid bills (Yuck!).  It took
about 20 minutes to get through.  About every tenth try got a busy
signal, but 9 out of ten was a no-answer problem.  They must have a
multi-dial rotor, and no modems on the upper numbers.