[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BIOS questions

stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach) (02/10/89)

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but..

I would like to know which of the third party BIOSs (BIOSi?) is
the best, specifically Awards or Phoenix?  But would like to hear about
others as well.  Facts, rumors?, horror stories!, anything at all.
Is one any faster than the other?
Is one more compatible than the other?

My compatible has returned from the shop, they fixed it by replacing
the mother board.  It was returned with the Awards BIOS, but it was
sent out with Phoenix BIOS.  When I called about it they sent me the
Phoenix BIOS.  Now I have both, but must return one set.  Which set
should I keep?

Please post or Email responces to me, and I will summarize to the net
the hundreds :-) of replies that I receive.  It will be hunderds right?
or at least a few (dozen maybe?).

Thanax in advance,
otium cum dignitate.   :-)                      Steve Leach, Redmond Wa

daveb@phred.UUCP (David Burd) (02/10/89)

In article <2479@phred.UUCP> stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach) writes:
> would like to know which of the third party BIOSs (BIOSi?) is
> Facts, rumors?, horror stories!, anything at all.

I don't know much about Phoenix or Award BIOSi, but the
Packard Bell BIOS in my model PB286 does not properly
recognize the extended keyboard which came with the machine,
or any other I have tried (including a true Blue).
I am using Reflections R2+ as a VT100 emulator on a unix
system and I find it very difficult to use the vi style
editors because the keypad functions are all screwed up.

I have no connection with PB other than as a dissatisfied user,
and no connection with Walker, Richer & Quinn Inc.
                                                           db

rob@conexch.UUCP (Robert Collins) (02/12/89)

In article <2479@phred.UUCP> stevel@phred.UUCP (Steve Leach) writes:

>Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but..
>
>I would like to know which of the third party BIOSs (BIOSi?) is
>the best, specifically Awards or Phoenix?  But would like to hear about
>others as well.  Facts, rumors?, horror stories!, anything at all.
>Is one any faster than the other?
>Is one more compatible than the other?

Since I work for a living writing BIOS, I hope my biased point of view
counts anyways.  Of all the aftermarket BIOS's out there, I think AWARD
is the best.  I say AWARD because our BIOS isn't on the market.  If you
were to include our BIOS, I think ours is the best.  Ours is most
definitely faster than anybody elses, and more intelligent during
POST, and CMOS setup.
But keep  the AWARD.

--
"Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Mat. 4:10
Robert Collins                 UUCP:  ucbvax!ucivax!icnvax!conexch!rob

angelini@apollo.COM (Bob Angelini) (02/15/89)

>I don't know much about Phoenix or Award BIOSi, but the
>Packard Bell BIOS in my model PB286 does not properly
>recognize the extended keyboard which came with the machine,
>or any other I have tried (including a true Blue).
>I am using Reflections R2+ as a VT100 emulator on a unix
>system and I find it very difficult to use the vi style
>editors because the keypad functions are all screwed up

As far as enhanced keyboard compatipily the problem is
with the keyboard BIOS in not in the system BIOS. Award
keyboard BIOS does not properly support the enhanced
keyboard. Phoenix keyboard BIOS does.