[comp.sys.ibm.pc] compress for the PC

lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) (02/08/89)

We're looking for a utility that runs on an IBM PC and performs the
same function as the unix utility "compress."  We would like to
compress files generated on our PC, ship them to a unix machines
and uncompress the files there.  Of course, we would like to be
able to perform the reverse operation too.

Can anyone point me to where I can find such a utility?

Thanks in advance.

lynch@chemres.tn.cornell.edu

cab@opus.ATT.COM (C. Anthony) (02/08/89)

In article <7352@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:
> We're looking for a utility that runs on an IBM PC and performs the
> same function as the unix utility "compress."  We would like to

Ditto.

--
          -CAB-
   _____/ _ || _\___

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (02/08/89)

There are versions of compress that run on PC's.  They generally need
lotsa memory, so 12-bit compress is more common than 16-bit compress.  I
think the UNIX compress's can usually deal with 12-bit if you tell them to.

The ZOO program exists in MSDOS, UNIX, and other forms, and is
specifically suited to file shipments between operating systems.  It
offers some file-grouping features in addition to the compression.
Source code is available on various archives, at least including
simtel20.  I use it a lot, and I'm very happy with it.

(Its satanic predecessor :-), the ARC family, has been ported to UNIX,
but the file-name mismatch isn't really well handled and there are some
only-semi-compatible versions around.  There are also legal questions.)

(disclaimer:  I have nothing to do with ZOO, which is not a commercial
product, I just like the program a lot.  Please don't ask me to send you
the source code.)

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (02/10/89)

I will be sending COMP16.EXE to rahul for comp.binaries.ibm.pc in a week
or so.  It does 16-bit compress and is faster than ....

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (02/11/89)

In article <7352@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) writes:
>We're looking for a utility that runs on an IBM PC and performs the
>same function as the unix utility "compress."  We would like to
>compress files generated on our PC, ship them to a unix machines
>and uncompress the files there.  Of course, we would like to be
>able to perform the reverse operation too.

        You will find the 16-bit UNIX(tm) compress program ported to
        PC-DOS available for download in the unix file area on The
        Consultants' Exchange BBS.  The name of the file you want is:

                	pcompr16.arc

        This archive contains the .EXE program as well as the modified C
        source code.

        You can reach The Consultants' Exchange by calling:

                (714) 842-6348 		1200 baud
                (714) 842-5851 		2400 baud

	When presented with the login: prompt, enter bbs (lower case)
	and follow the prompts for access.

        Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

garnett@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (John Garnett) (02/16/89)

in article <7352@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, lynch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Tim Lynch) says:

> We're looking for a utility that runs on an IBM PC and performs the
> same function as the unix utility "compress."  We would like to
> compress files generated on our PC, ship them to a unix machines
> and uncompress the files there.  Of course, we would like to be
> able to perform the reverse operation too.
>
> Can anyone point me to where I can find such a utility?

I like to use the Zoo archiver.  This archiver uses LZW compression and
is available for both Unix and DOS C compilers (Amiga as well).  The
compression ratio is comparable to **ix compress.  Zoo has additional
features including the capability to store files and directory hierarchy
information in an archive.  See the recent posting to comp.sources.unix
for the sources.

garnett@killer.dallas.tx.us