[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zortech Revisited

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (01/26/89)

I had previously badmouthed (bad keyboarded?) Zortech C++ and their
customer support.  With the postings about the new, improved version 1.07,
I finally gave them another call.

They aparently have had a complete change of management there.  They
admitted to not keeping track of the registration cards (!) and are sending
me a new copy.  At first they wanted to charge me $20.00 for it, but I
convinced them that since I reported a pile of bugs and the version I had
was worthless I deserved a free copy.

So if I get the new version in the next week or two, and it works, I'll
drastically upgrade my rating of this company and product!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) (02/02/89)

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:

>I had previously badmouthed (bad keyboarded?) Zortech C++ and their
>customer support.  With the postings about the new, improved version 1.07,
>I finally gave them another call.

I've just started using Zortech C++ v1.06 (and am new to C++ though familiar
with C).  The product seems to "work", as although I have experienced
problems, all but one were probably just 'cos I don't have Stroustrup's
C++ book yet. Even though I say it myself, I'm already using a fair amount
of C++ functionality and so believe v1.06 "works".

I would however welcome *any* other comments on this product, whether
contradictory of my experience or not.
--
------------------- <mrh@camcon.co.uk>  or  <...!mcvax!ukc!idec!camcon!mrh>
------------------- BT Gold: 72:MAG70076      Cambridge UK. (Own opinions etc.)

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (02/09/89)

In article <2365@titan.camcon.co.uk>, mrh@camcon.co.uk (Mark Hughes) writes...

]I've just started using Zortech C++ v1.06 (and am new to C++ though familiar
]with C).  The product seems to "work", as although I have experienced
]problems, all but one were probably just 'cos I don't have Stroustrup's
]C++ book yet. Even though I say it myself, I'm already using a fair amount
]of C++ functionality and so believe v1.06 "works".

]I would however welcome *any* other comments on this product, whether
]contradictory of my experience or not.

I'm not very experienced with the product yet (have just
obtained ver. 1.07), but contrary to what I've read in the
C++ newsgroup, the service from Zortech has been
outstanding, in terms of providing fast service in
reponse to phone calls.

==Jess Anderson===Academic Computing Center=====Univ. Wisconsin-Madison=====
| Work: Rm. 2160, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706, Ph. 608/263-6988 |
| Home: 2838 Stevens St., 53705, 608/238-4833   BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc  |
==ARPA: anderson@macc.wisc.edu========UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson==

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/16/89)

Well, I got my free upgrade to version 1.07, and it fixes all but one
of the bugs I had noticed (the final bug is with the C compiler where
it would fail to compile an Xlisp module handled by every other compiler
I had).  The install program also failed to copy an include file to my
hard disk.

They also include an example mini-cad program using C++.

I haven't checked use with CodeView yet, but at least the disks did
have the elusive bunch.exe program on it.

It looks like Zortech is getting their act together!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM
Standard Disclaimers Apply