[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC Tools Deluxe Version 5 is out!

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (02/06/89)

I got my copy on Friday (03 Feb 89).  Looks nice.  It works!  More to follow.

pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) (02/08/89)

In article <2569@pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
}I got my copy on Friday (03 Feb 89).  Looks nice.  It works!  More to follow.

Yep, I got mine on the 2nd, I think.  It is nice.  (I upgraded from version 3.)
The only real bug I have found so far is that the /TC option to mirror doesn't
seem to work (It got installed with this option by the installation program.)
I have only 5 logical drives defined on my PC and "MIRROR C: /TC" gives me an
error saying that it cannot process drive T after it has sucessfully processed
drive C.  If I have bump the number of logical drives up to include that letter
of the alphabet, the error message goes away.

I'm also trying to use PCTOOLS with the MKS Toolkit.  It's a nightmare.  The
desktop and pcshell can't find their overlays when executed under ksh (resident
or not) even when I include the PCTOOLS dir in the PATH.  If anyone has had
any success getting MKS and PCTOOLS 5 to work together, please let me know how
you did it.  Thanks.
--
Paul Dubuc   |   "Happy is the one who is not scandalized by me."
cbdkc1!pmd   |   		    Jesus Christ  (Matt. 11:6)

bob@rel.eds.com (Bob Leffler) (02/08/89)

In article <3847@cbnews.ATT.COM>, pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:
> In article <2569@pegasus.ATT.COM> psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:
> }I got my copy on Friday (03 Feb 89).  Looks nice.  It works!  More to follow.
>
> Yep, I got mine on the 2nd, I think.  It is nice.  (I upgraded from version 3.)

I still haven't received mine as of yet.  Although I will admit that they
haven't cashed the check as of yet either.

bob

--
Bob Leffler - EDS, GM Truck & Bus Account (313)456-5375
bob@rel.eds.com or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, umix}!rel!bob

boba@hpwala.wal.hp.com (Bob Alexander) (02/08/89)

>I'm also trying to use PCTOOLS with the MKS Toolkit.  It's a nightmare.  The
>desktop and pcshell can't find their overlays when executed under ksh (resident
>or not) even when I include the PCTOOLS dir in the PATH.  If anyone has had
>any success getting MKS and PCTOOLS 5 to work together, please let me know how
>you did it.  Thanks.

I had this problem, too.  After experimenting I determined that some PCTools
programs can't handle a switchar of -.  PCShell won't run, Compress can't
find it's help file.  Other problems may show up later.  This is very
disturbing to me since I love my switchar but I feel I can't completely
trust *any* of the new PCTools.  I've tried to call Central Point but their
line is busy.  Meanwhile, I'm holding on to version 4.

  Bob Alexander      |
  boba@hpwala.hp.com |
  -------------------+---------------------------------------------------
  Organizations don't have opinions: individuals do.  The opinions expressed
  above do not necessarily reflect those of the stockholders, employees, or
  directors of Hewlett-Packard.

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (02/09/89)

In article <3847@cbnews.ATT.COM>, pmd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Paul Dubuc) writes:
> I'm also trying to use PCTOOLS with the MKS Toolkit.  It's a nightmare.
> The desktop and pcshell can't find their overlays when executed under
> ksh (resident or not) even when I include the PCTOOLS dir in the PATH.

While I don't have PCTools to test, I can offer a general idea that
might work.

Some new programs use the name they get from DOS (since DOS 3.0, I
think) to locate their overlays.  For example, if you run the command
foo, and foo is found in directory c:\dos, foo will be able to retrieve
the name c:\dos\foo.exe .  It can use the directory portion of this to
locate its overlays.

Now, when you're using the MKS Toolkit, you may have the PATH set with
forward slashes in it.  And, even if you don't, the shell will use a
forward slash when it appends the program name to part of the path to
see if the file exists.  For example, the name the program gets might be
c:\dos/foo.exe or c:/dos/foo.exe .  This causes complications if the
program in question is unprepared to handle forward slashes.

You can get around this by specifying the full pathname of the program
and use backslashes.  Since the shell doesn't have to search for the
program, it doesn't mess with the name you gave.  You'll have to quote
the string or something so the shell doesn't strip out the backslashes,
though.  For example, you might type this command:

	$ 'c:\dos\foo.exe'

Give that a try to see if it cures the problem you mentioned.  If it
does, you can then save yourself some typing by creating a shell alias:

	$ alias foo='c:\dos\foo.exe'

I've seen this cure similar problems with other programs that use
overlays, so I suspect it will work here too.

If I may, I'd like to make a request of you software authors out there
-- please write your programs so they will handle either type of slash
in pathnames.  It would make life easier for many people.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/09/89)

Also received and installed PCTools V.5.  Was able to install the
shell as a TSR file manager and pop it up over a big program like
WordPerfect 5.0.  One this I miss, in V.4, you could view a file,
mark it, view the next file, mark it, etc.  I don't believe I can
do this any more.  Before, you could view (or do any operation on an
unmarked file) just by typing Alt- plust the command initial.  This
no longer works -- you must work your way through the marked files.

I think they may have tried to do too much (file manager, editor,
note pads, rudimentary macro facility, rudimentary comm program
[with backgroud xmodem], calculator, phone dialer, cache, disk optim-
izer, formatter, FAT-saver).

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705   mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

bazavan@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Valentin Bazavan) (02/14/89)

> Give that a try to see if it cures the problem you mentioned.  If it
> does, you can then save yourself some typing by creating a shell alias:

> 	$ alias foo='c:\dos\foo.exe'

> I've seen this cure similar problems with other programs that use
> overlays, so I suspect it will work here too.

Thank you, Gerry! This works, but you need both the quotes and
a double slash: '\\dos\\foo.exe' (at least in my version of the
toolkit, 2.3). Why?

> If I may, I'd like to make a request of you software authors out there
> -- please write your programs so they will handle either type of slash
> in pathnames.  It would make life easier for many people.

Yes, pleeeeease! Or, at least, use environment variables (like Wordstar 2000),
or configuration setting options (like Borland's Turbo languages).

>     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
>Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels
> 35 King St. North                             BIX: join mks
> Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9                  CompuServe: 73260,1043

Valentin Bazavan
bazavan%hpdtc@hplabs.hp.com

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (02/17/89)

In article <640005@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, bazavan@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Valentin Bazavan) writes:
> > 	$ alias foo='c:\dos\foo.exe'
> This works, but you need both the quotes and a double slash:
> '\\dos\\foo.exe' (at least in my version of the toolkit, 2.3).  Why?

Well, I'm not sure.  The quotes alone will prevent the shell from
molesting the backslashes in my sample alias.  Perhaps the startup code
for your application also interprets backslashes, and so they have to be
doubled for it to pass them through.  Glad to see you got it working,
anyway.