[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Best Shareware Editor.

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/15/89)

And from porter@caip.rutgers.edu Sat Feb 11 22:17:23 1989

>Qedit 2.07 is tremendously preferred to all of the mentioned editors
>by many people.  I use it, and it is a GREAT editor for programming or
>other uses.  (It has C, Pascal, many other modes, and is a fantastic,
>FAST, all-around ASCII editor.)  1 thing I like best about Qedit is
>its configurability.

I think configurability does not really count unless it is really easy
to configure.  (I wont spend a night making some small changes any more.)

  The initial reason I started seeking best PD editor was that I wanted
to edit 'backup.log' file which was bigger than 64kbytes.  In such cases,
features do not matter, but capability matters.
Anyway I got copies of both BlackBeard and FreeEmacs.

If I compare those two, each has its own merits and drawbacks.

BlackBeard has a pop-up menu structure.  So, easy to first-time users.
It has overlapping windows.  Great.  But:

1. You should always be careful not to hit the mouse left button accidentally.
(Quite annoying at times)
2. Once you visit a file, the modification date changes no matter you modified
or not.
3. When you switch between overlapping windows, you updates the file
  automatically even when you don't want to.
4. Cut-and-paste requires *some*(about 9) keystrokes or mouse-button clicks.
   Sometimes you have to check whether you have cleared the paste buffer.

Freemacs is quite similar to GNUEmacs.  If you have not learned Emacs,
it will take time to learn.
It has the spelling checker.  It supports scope checking.  Great.

1. It has a separate curser for mouse.  It does not support M-x edit-picture.
   So you have to type 'space' up to the place you really want to type.
   You will get easily confused with the real curser position.
   It is really annoying.
2. In the top area and bottom area, mouse left-button does something
   unwanted.
3. It does not support bigger-than-64k files.  Pity  *%#$@ ix86!

Conclusion:

They are both great products.  Cheers to those programmers for their
efforts.
So I decided to have both in the hard-disk space.  (I have only 22Mbytes :-{ )
And now I finish search leaving QEDIT.  I do not have time any more.

                   Hugh
                   gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

In article <111700040@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

   Freemacs is quite similar to GNUEmacs. ...

   1. It has a separate curser for mouse.  ...  You will get easily
   confused with the real curser position.  It is really annoying.
I'm not really sure what you expect here.  Every mouse-based text editing
system I've seen has two cursors - the text cursor and the mouse cursor.
   2. In the top area and bottom area, mouse left-button does something
   unwanted.
M-x move-to-mouse causes the text cursor to track the mouse cursor as long
as the left button is held down.
   3. It does not support bigger-than-64k files.  Pity  *%#$@ ix86!
That is most people's complaint about Freemacs.

   [BlackBeard and Freemacs] are both great products.  Cheers to those
   programmers for their efforts.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])