[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEC MSync II vs. MSync 2A?

lever@linus.UUCP (Mark J. Lever) (02/14/89)

I have noticed some postings refering to the NEC Multisync 2A and
would like to know the difference between the II and the 2A.  I
currently work with a II and think its fine although not spectacular.
I drive it from an STB VGA/Extra EM and in the 800x600 mode for GEM
have noticed fliker.  Does the 2A eliminate this?  Any and all info
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mark Lever
(lever@linus.UUCP)

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (02/16/89)

In article <44871@linus.UUCP>, lever@linus.UUCP (Mark J. Lever) writes:
> I have noticed some postings refering to the NEC Multisync 2A and
> would like to know the difference between the II and the 2A. ...

The 2A is a cost reduced version of the II, and it is also "tuned" to
keep the screen perfectly centered with the standard VGA modes.  NEC
has also tried to establish a standard 800x600 mode (unfortunately this
is even more obviously flickering than the old mode you are using).

The STB VGA/em displays the 800x600 screen at a frame refresh rate of
about 56 or 57 Hz, the new standard is about 54 or 55 Hz -- in any case
the effect is a display rate noticably less than the 60 Hz or 70 Hz that
are normal for the standard VGA modes.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Mark Lever
> (lever@linus.UUCP)

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (02/21/89)

From article <44871@linus.UUCP>, by lever@linus.UUCP (Mark J. Lever):
> I have noticed some postings refering to the NEC Multisync 2A and
> would like to know the difference between the II and the 2A.  I
> currently work with a II and think its fine although not spectacular.
> I drive it from an STB VGA/Extra EM and in the 800x600 mode for GEM
> have noticed fliker.  Does the 2A eliminate this?  Any and all info
> appreciated.

I run a NEC Multisync II from a ATI EGA WONDER 800 in 800x600 and 800x560
mode and I don't notice flicker.

I do notice that the screen shifts when I shift from CGA graphcs to 800x600
graphics, this is easily fixed with the horizontal position control.

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpa!wolfordj

harvard-+