[comp.sys.ibm.pc] tcp-ip what is it?

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) (02/17/89)

I have been seeing quite a bit of talk about TCP-IP lately...  Would
someone please advise me of what this is???

thanx in advance.

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
Sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (02/22/89)

These abbreviations refer to levels 3 and 4, approximately, of
the ISO model for OSI (Open Systems Interface).  These particular
ones are actually earlier, and part of the ARPA defense network.
TCP is Transmission Control Protocol which controls end-to-end
integrity of the transmission.  IP is the Internet Protocol,
which understands routing and integrity of the network
connection.  There are numerous references and whole books
devoted to this subject.

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (02/22/89)

In article <14729@cup.portal.com>, Vaprak@cup.portal.com (John C Foy) writes:
> I have been seeing quite a bit of talk about TCP-IP lately...  Would
> someone please advise me of what this is???

TCP/IP is a family of inter-networking protocols developed over quite a number
of years.  It was originally funded by the DOD for use on the ARPAnet, but
as that grew into the Internet (a lot of networks all connected together),
academic and commercial use has greatly outgrown DOD usage.  IP stands for
Internet Protocol, a low-level datagram protocol, TCP stands for Transmission
Control Protocol, a reliable byte-stream protocol.

All the protocol documents are on-line at SRI-NIC.ARPA, as well as a list
of currently available implementations.  Use anonymous FTP to get them.
Doug Comer's book "Internetworking With TCP/IP" is pretty good.  So is
John Davidson's "An Introduction to TCP/IP", but it is considerably thinner.

Most 4bsd Unix systems come with TCP/IP support in the kernel.  Sun's NFS
is an application protocol layered on top of IP (and UDP, the User Datagram
Protocol).  Much of the news you see is moved at least part of the way to
you by the Network News Transport Protocol (over TCP and IP).
--
James B. VanBokkelen		We're moving.  After 2/26, the new number
FTP Software Inc.		will be (617) 246-0900.