[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS-kermit loosing characters at 19200 bps

ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson) (02/14/89)

When I use MS-kermit (ver 2.3*) at 19200 bps on an ALR 386/220 or at
9600 bps on a Compaq Deskpro 286, and type anything at the same time
as I receive something, kermit beeps at me an looses received characters.
Is this expected behavior? Can I do something to avoid it? Can't kermit
keep up with the interrupt rate even on a 386, or isn't it even using
interrupts on these machines?

Kermit is practically useless as a terminal emulator to run full screen
editing through, if I can't type anything at the same time as the screen
updates.  And lower baudrates are too anoying to use.
--
Kristoffer Eriksson, Peridot Konsult AB, Hagagatan 6, S-703 40 Oerebro, Sweden
Phone: +46 19-13 03 60   !  e-mail: ske@pkmab.se

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (02/16/89)

From article <667@pkmab.se>, by ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson):
> When I use MS-kermit (ver 2.3*) at 19200 bps on an ALR 386/220 or at
> 9600 bps on a Compaq Deskpro 286, and type anything at the same time
> as I receive something, kermit beeps at me an looses received characters.

I use MS-Kermit 2.31 at 9600, 19.2, and occasionally 38.4 on
both a 16MHz 386, and an 8MHz 286.
I have some dropped characters at 38.4k, but I'm not certain if it is the
fault of Kermit, as I also have trouble on a Link 220 terminal at 38.4.
At 19.2, on either PC-AT clone, I have no trouble.

If you are running UNIX, make sure that stty -a returns ixon ixoff -ixany.
The default on our systems is -ixoff ixany, the result being that
when Kermit gives an XOFF, your next keystroke is seen as IXANY, and turns
the flow back on.

Yes it does need XON/XOFF at 19.2, so does a DEC vt100 terminal.

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM         (408) 434-2083
                ...pyramid!ctnews!professo!dold         MailStop 18-011

ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson) (02/17/89)

In article <943@starfish.Convergent.COM>, cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> From article <667@pkmab.se>, by ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson):
>> When I use MS-kermit (ver 2.3*) at 19200 bps on an ALR 386/220 or at
>> 9600 bps on a Compaq Deskpro 286, and type anything at the same time
>> as I receive something, kermit beeps at me an looses received characters.
>
> If you are running UNIX, make sure that stty -a returns ixon ixoff -ixany.
> The default on our systems is -ixoff ixany, the result being that
> when Kermit gives an XOFF, your next keystroke is seen as IXANY, and turns
> the flow back on.

My principal use of MS-Kermit is indeed for connecting to UNIX systems. And
indeed I usually use ixon -ixoff ixany. But I've tried your advice now, and
it didn't help at all.

I made some more extensive tests, and found that Kermit starts beeping and
loosing characters almost immediately when I type anything while output is
going on to the screen, but starts emitting xoff:s much later. (I do have
flow control set to xon/xoff in Kermit.)

I even loose characters when there are less-than-one-line bursts of output
with pauses inbetween (and I type heavily), in which case Kermit couldn't
possibly need flow control.

I really wonder why Kermit beeps. It can't just beep by accident. It should
meen something.
--

dik@uva.UUCP (Casper H.S. Dik) (02/18/89)

In article <675@pkmab.se> ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson) writes:

>>> When I use MS-kermit (ver 2.3*) at 19200 bps on an ALR 386/220 or at
>>> 9600 bps on a Compaq Deskpro 286, and type anything at the same time
>>> as I receive something, kermit beeps at me an looses received characters.
>>
>My principal use of MS-Kermit is indeed for connecting to UNIX systems. And
>indeed I usually use ixon -ixoff ixany. But I've tried your advice now, and
>it didn't help at all.
>
>I made some more extensive tests, and found that Kermit starts beeping and
>loosing characters almost immediately when I type anything while output is
>going on to the screen, but starts emitting xoff:s much later. (I do have
>flow control set to xon/xoff in Kermit.)
>
>I really wonder why Kermit beeps. It can't just beep by accident. It should
>meen something.

Kermit beeps on purpose. When it gets an serial-i/o interrupt it checks
the status of the UART and if it indicates it lost a char, Kermit
outputs a beep. (I have the sources - I wondered what the beep meant too)

The problem has nothing to do with flow control. In the time it takes to
scroll the screen, more than one character can arrive.
I believe the problem lies in the disabling of interrupts during scrolling,
Kermit calls the Bios to scroll with INT 10H. This disables interrupts.

Currently I use a TB+ with Kermit on a 8MHz PC-XT clone.

The problem occurs when I use 19200baud on a 24 * 80 screen.
It also occurs when I use kermit at 9600 on a 24 * 132 screen.

In tektronics mode, no UART overruns occur, indicating that Kermit can
handle these high speeds with flow control.

My diagnosis was more or less confirmed when I tried to use Procomm 2.4.2.
Same problem there.

I know this isn't much help but now you know what's wrong.

>Kristoffer Eriksson, Peridot Konsult AB, Hagagatan 6, S-703 40 Oerebro, Sweden
>Phone: +46 19-13 03 60   !  e-mail: ske@pkmab.se
>Fax:   +46 19-11 51 03   !  or      ...{uunet,mcvax}!enea!kullmar!pkmab!ske

--cd

Casper H.S. Dik
University of Amsterdam     |		      dik@uva.uucp
The Netherlands             |                 ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!dik

ske@pkmab.se (Kristoffer Eriksson) (02/22/89)

In article <643@uva.UUCP>, dik@uva.UUCP (Casper H.S. Dik) writes:
> Kermit beeps on purpose. When it gets an serial-i/o interrupt it checks
> the status of the UART and if it indicates it lost a char, Kermit
> outputs a beep. (I have the sources - I wondered what the beep meant too)
>
> The problem has nothing to do with flow control. In the time it takes to
> scroll the screen, more than one character can arrive.
> I believe the problem lies in the disabling of interrupts during scrolling,
> Kermit calls the Bios to scroll with INT 10H. This disables interrupts.
>
> My diagnosis was more or less confirmed when I tried to use Procomm 2.4.2.
> Same problem there.

I have discovered that this character-loss problem occurs when I use a
KEYB to remap the keyboard layout for our national requirements. When I
use plain US keyboard layout, Kermit doesn't beep, and doesn't loose
characters.

I usually use the swedish layout (obviously because I live in Sweden, and
have swedish key-caps). The command is KEYB SV (except for directory names),
and i use MSDOS 3.30. I've also tried the UK layout. It had the same problem.
The US layout on the other hand, works fine, and it doesn't matter how I get
to it. I can switch to it by hitting CTRL-ALT-F1, or load it with the command
KEYB US, och just not load the swedish layout.

> Casper H.S. Dik
> University of Amsterdam     |		      dik@uva.uucp
> The Netherlands             |                 ...!uunet!mcvax!uva!dik

I suspect that most of the readers on this net, work in the US, and would
not have experienced this problem. I notice that dik@uva.uucp is writing
from the Netherlands.

Does anyone know why KEYB has this undesirable effect?

I still think that not even all users that do use KEYB have this problem.
Why? Are they just fortunate enough to have a 16550 on their serial port?
(That is not likely, I think.)