[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seek advice on 286 Accelerator card for PC XT

jk@utastro.UUCP (John Krist) (02/21/89)

     My boss is considering getting a 286 accelerator card for our IBM
  PC XT.  Specifically, we are looking at the Orchid Tiny Turbo 286
  board, which Compuadd here in town sells for $279.

     We cannot afford a full 286 replacement board, so it is this or
  nothing.  If anyone has experience with this board or similar ones,
  we would greatly appreciate your advice.

  Thanks,

  John Krist
  jk@astro.as.utexas.edu

velte@mimsy.UUCP (Jack Velte) (02/21/89)

for less than the cost of a turbo board, you can buy an AT motherboard.
get a copy of _computer shopper_:  600 pages of ads for stuff, including
AT motherboards from $150 to $495 for 20 mhz.
--
Jack Velte @ University of MD
domain:	velte@mimsy.umd.edu	path: seismo!mimsy!velte

ching@pepsi.amd.com (Mike Ching) (02/22/89)

In article <16055@mimsy.UUCP> velte@mimsy.umd.edu.UUCP (Jack Velte) writes:

>for less than the cost of a turbo board, you can buy an AT motherboard.
>get a copy of _computer shopper_:  600 pages of ads for stuff, including
>AT motherboards from $150 to $495 for 20 mhz.

One gotcha with the new motherboard is that you might need a new
keyboard. Some XT clones come with XT/AT compatible keyboards but many
do not. I got an accelerator at a flea market for $90 which is more in
line with the value of the card.

mike ching