[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help talking to Hayes Modem?

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Old run-down actor) (02/17/89)

Can anyone give me an idea of what is involved in talking to the com1 port?

I have an HP Vectra (286 ibm compatible) with a serial port connected to
a Hayes smartmodem 2400.   The Hayes modem likes to hear commands like
ATD, ATs8=7, ATL, and ATDT0xxxxxxxxxxxx.   I would like to give it such
commands directly from DOS.

Also, my host system is connected to a DEFENDER unit, and I use my company's
ATT credit card number to dial the system.  Therefore, the number I dial
is of the sequence:

        ATDT04879247,21578680288887,,,1048882#,#
            ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   ^^^^^^^^
            phone#   credit card #    defender code

  Where each "," indicates a configurable (in seconds) delay.  This is 40
characters long(it could be even longer if I had to dial 9 to get out), and
I have not found a communications package that will dial such a number
for me.  I used Mirror, and couldn't get it to send AT commands directly,
nor could I get it to send a string this long.

In anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Paul Houtz
HP Technology Access Center
10670 N. Tantau Avenue
Cupertino, Ca 95014
(408) 725-3864
hplabs!hpda!hpsemc!gph
gph%hpsemc@hplabs.HP.COM

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) (02/17/89)

Try:
       echo ATZ > com1
 or any other legal set of AT commands...

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) (02/22/89)

rog@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Roger Haaheim) /  6:32 am  Feb 17, 1989 writes:
>Try:
       >echo ATZ > com1
 >or any other legal set of AT commands...

 Umm.  I have had a number of suggestions such as this.  I tried this and
I always get the same retry, abort, ignore? error (the same one you get
when you try to write to an empty disk drive).

 Does anyone know SPECIFICALLY what is wrong with the configuration of my
serial port the disallows the above type of command?