[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DESQview - who makes it?

optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/08/89)

DESQview, the multi-window integrator, is made by the Quarterdeck
Office Systems.  Its list price is about $140.  You can get it
from some dealers for $70 to $80 plus shipping.  The following is
two possible dealers who recently carrying DESQview.

             PC Connection
             6 Mill Street
             Marlow, NH 03456
             1-800-243-8088 (phone order)
             (603)446-3383 (information)
             FAX (603)446-7791

             Price : $79

             FastMicro
             3721 E.Grove St.
             Phoenix, AZ 85040
             (800)441-3278 (order)
             (602)437-8975 (check on orders)

             Price : $73

If you want to order directly from Quarterdeck, the price is $129.95
as adverticed in Feb. issue of PC World.  The mailing address for
Quarterdeck is

             150 Pico Boulevard
             Santa Monica, CA 90405
             (213)392-9851

The latest version of DESQview is 2.02, and it is available in either
5.25" 360K or 3.5" 720K diskette format.

Qiwu Liu
Academic Computing Service
University of Kansas
Lawrence, KS 66045

aiko@xanth.cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) (02/08/89)

Does anyone know which company produces DESQview (a multi-tasking package)?
The approximate price and any possible distributors?

Thanks  --  John Hayes
--
 ---{john hayes}     Old Dominion Univ; Norfolk, Virginia USA
                     UUCP:  aiko@xanth.UUCP  or  ...!uunet!xanth!aiko

mike@mks.UUCP (Mike Brookbank) (02/08/89)

In article <7560@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, aiko@xanth.cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) writes:

> Does anyone know which company produces DESQview (a multi-tasking package)?
> The approximate price and any possible distributors?

Quaterdeck is the name of the company which manufactures DESQview with a
retail price of $130.00US.  You can get it from Programmer's Connection
for $115.00US. (800) 336-1166.
--
     Mike Brookbank                          Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!mike

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (02/09/89)

In article <7560@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, aiko@xanth.cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) writes:

> Does anyone know which company produces DESQview (a multi-tasking package)?
> The approximate price and any possible distributors?
>
> Thanks  --  John Hayes

The company is QuarterDeck, they are located in Santa Monica, CA, in
the 213 area code, and they can doubtless tell you where to go for
a distributor.
--
Clayton E. Cramer
{pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer

rlb@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) (02/09/89)

In article <7560@xanth.cs.odu.edu> aiko@cs.odu.edu (John K Hayes) writes:

>Does anyone know which company produces DESQview (a multi-tasking package)?
>The approximate price and any possible distributors?
>
>--
DESQview retails for about $189.  I'm not sure about discount prices from
distributors.  It is marketed by:
		Quarterdeck Systems
		150 Pico Blvd.
		Santa Monica, CA  90405
		(213) 392-9851

You might want to check out the latest issue of PC Magazine (Feb 28, 1989).
It has a review of the most popular multi-tasking software, including
DESQview and Windows/Windows 386.

I use Windows/386 and like it very much.  You do need 2 Meg to really do
much in the way of multi-tasking though.

wilson@shapetc.UUCP (Tony Wilson ) (02/09/89)

In article <3328@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> The latest version of DESQview is 2.02, and it is available in either
> 5.25" 360K or 3.5" 720K diskette format.

According to a flier included with QEMM-386 version 4.2, there is now
a DESQview version 2.2 available.  I would type in the features, but they
run to nearly four sides of small print.

Tony Wilson                                      wilson@issun3.stc.nl,  or
SHAPE Technical Centre, The Hague, NL            ...!hp4nl!shapetc!wilson

barry@dgbt.uucp (Barry Mclarnon) (02/13/89)

From article <3328@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:

> The latest version of DESQview is 2.02, and it is available in either
> 5.25" 360K or 3.5" 720K diskette format.

This is not the "latest".  Quarterdeck is currently shipping V2.24, and it
has some significant enhancements over 2.0X.

--
Barry McLarnon    Communications Research Center    Ottawa, ON   Canada
UUCP: ...utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!dgbt!barry   INTERNET:  barry@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/21/89)

In article <1012@dgbt.uucp>, barry@dgbt.uucp (Barry Mclarnon) writes:
}From article <3328@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
}> The latest version of DESQview is 2.02, and it is available in either
}> 5.25" 360K or 3.5" 720K diskette format.
}>
}This is not the "latest".  Quarterdeck is currently shipping V2.24, and it
}has some significant enhancements over 2.0X.

And by all reports on the DESQVIEW conference on Fidonet, v2.24 is rotten to
the core, and people should stick to v2.21 or v2.22 until Quarterdeck comes
out with fixes to the MAJOR bugs introduced by 2.24.

Disclaimer: I am running 2.22, and haven't seen 2.24 myself....

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

schanck@calorie.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) (02/22/89)

In article <24009478@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>And by all reports on the DESQVIEW conference on Fidonet, v2.24 is rotten to
>the core, and people should stick to v2.21 or v2.22 until Quarterdeck comes
>out with fixes to the MAJOR bugs introduced by 2.24.
>
>Disclaimer: I am running 2.22, and haven't seen 2.24 myself....

Could you summarize what the problems are with v2.24? Seems odd that
a supposedly incremental upgrade should add so many problems. 'Course,
if there weren't problems, software would be perfect, and lots of us
would be out of jobs...:-)

Chris

-=-
"The future of the human race is in the hands of the telephone company!"
			--- Dr. Harrison Blackwood, "War of the Worlds"
Christopher Schanck --> schanck@.cis.ohio-state.edu

jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) (02/22/89)

In article <24009478@ralf> Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>And by all reports on the DESQVIEW conference on Fidonet, v2.24 is rotten to
>the core, and people should stick to v2.21 or v2.22 until Quarterdeck comes
>out with fixes to the MAJOR bugs introduced by 2.24.
>
>Disclaimer: I am running 2.22, and haven't seen 2.24 myself....
>
>UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
>ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

I sent in my $60 to upgrade from 2.01 to 2.24, and haven't been at ALL pleased.

There are indeed major bugs in 2.24, particularly with regard to VGA handling.
I can no longer run VGA programs which do not reset the palette, as 2.24
seems to munge the default palette.  All in all, 2.24 was a waste of $60.

If Quarterdeck does not offer free upgrades to a bugfixed version, I urge
everyone to seriously reconsider purchasing one of their products on the basis
of lousy customer support.  Spending 1 hour on the phone with them (long
distance at MY expense, half of which was spent waiting for a tech support
person) to fix one of THEIR bugs is not my idea of constructive use of $$$.

-J.
---
John P. Silva
INTERNET : jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu           "You don't know what you're
UUCP     : {backbone}!ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva       getting into, friend..."

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/22/89)

In article <36336@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, schanck@calorie.cis.ohio-state.edu (Christopher Schanck) writes:
}In article <24009478@ralf> I write:
}>And by all reports on the DESQVIEW conference on Fidonet, v2.24 is rotten to
}>the core
}
}Could you summarize what the problems are with v2.24?

Here are the relevant messages from the conference, shortened somewhat:

From:    Mike Davis @ 930/1
To:      Blaine Korcel                            Msg #47, 12-Feb-89 10:04am
Subject: Re: Dv 2.24 Bugs

BK> I just encountered a crazy bug in 2.24.  We just bought DV 386 which w
BK> bundled with 2.24 of all things.  I noticed that running an applicatio
BK> quickbasic compiled to be specific but not exclusive, under DV would
BK> prevent my application from seeing files ANYWHERE!  I have since gone
BK> back to our copy of 2.22 and all is working fine, 2.22 bugs excepted.
BK>
BK> A warning to ALL, DesqView 2.24 has some serious problems in accessing
BK> files.

 GREAT!  I saw that SAME bug two weeks ago and posted it here and on
Quarterdeck's BBS as well as call Tech Support.  At that time, they
said no one else had reported the problem so they couldn't give
"highest" priority to it. Sorry you have a problem, but glad for the
company!

From:    Mark Moran
To:      Mike Davis @ 930/1                       Msg #49, 14-Feb-89 10:47am

BK> A warning to ALL, DesqView 2.24 has some serious problems in accessing
BK> files.

MD> GREAT!  I saw that SAME bug two weeks ago and posted it here and on
MD> Quarterdeck's BBS as well as call Tech Support.

I'm reluctantly joining this party. Installed 2.24 last PM, reinstalled 2.22
backup today.  Last PM DV erased a whole directory for me (unrecoverable by
Norton's).  This means it moved the directory contents to God knows where. I
jumped into a DOS window which happened to be in the directory where someone
was up loading something from the BBS window and when he was finished
everything was gone.  Granted this isn't the smartiest thing to do, but I've
played with DV 2.22 in a similar fashion without a problem.  I hadn't fooled
with 2.24 in this respect, but I guess this was some provactive testing.  Too
bad it wasn't with data I didn't care about.

Another thing I've noticed with the few hours 2.24 was on my system:  DSZ
reports a serial port line area occasionally.  This started immediately after
installing 2.24.  I wonder if it will now disappear that 2.22 is back on-line.

From:    Kurt Riegel
To:      Blaine Korcel                            Msg #51, 13-Feb-89 11:18pm

I received DESQview's 2.24 version and find that it is rotten to the
core.  Got a FAX from Dan Sallitt at Quarterdect today confirming that
it forgot how to find files, a zillion enraged users reported it, the
fix has been found, and my disk is "in the mail".

Sure.

Actually, I've been using DV2.23a for some weeks and find it to be
smooth as silk.  All the dual communications instabilities of 2.22 and
prior versions seem to be gone, and I have yet to witness a burp of any
kind.  As long as they don't "improve" it again like 2.24, I think we
can expect a winner.

From:    Blaine Korcel
To:      Richard Huddleston                       Msg #69, 14-Feb-89 08:58pm
Subject: RE: Dv 2.23

> I wonder what the fix from 2.23 and 2.24 are supposed to correct.

From personal experience and frustration, I can assure you that 2.24 is
a step backwards in technology.  There are so many bugs that it is
nearly useless for all but the simple user. Version 2.23 is by far the
most stable with 2.22 falling in close behind.

From:    Bob Moravsik
To:      Mike Davis @ 930/1                       Msg #70, 13-Feb-89 06:56pm
Subject: RE: Dv 2.24

Mike...DV 2.24  causes bugs in RBBS...I had to drop back to
2.21...I verified the problem is in dv 2.24 and I think it is
the way the files are accessed....Bob Moravsik

From:    Mike Davis @ 930/1
To:      Clint Anglin                             Msg #76, 15-Feb-89 06:22am

CA> Can anyone tell me: how do you get Quarterdeck to send you the upgrade
CA> I've been using DV 2.22 for quite awhile now and never received the 2.
CA> upgrade, let alone 2.24.  Do I have to send MORE money for these
CA> maintenance upgrades?

CA> -clint-
 You need to call Tech Support on the phone and hang on hold for 45
minutes or so, then they will send you an upgrade.  The current upgrade
(2.24) is supposed to fix the problems with handling COMM paramemters
that so many people have complained about.  Its supposed to be a major
revision.  However on my system, it is almost non-functional and my BBS
can't find any of its support files, so 2.24 is completely useless for
me.

From:    Paul Marwick
To:      Mark Moran                               Msg #69, 19-Feb-89 12:44am

 -> I'm reluctantly joining this party. Installed 2.24 last PM,
 -> reinstalled 2.22 backup today.  Last PM DV erased a whole directory
 -> for me (unrecoverable by Norton's).  This means it moved the
 -> directory contents to God knows where.

I've just encountered another peculiarity in 2.24.  I use FU WAIT in several
places.  Doesn't work at all under 2.24 - if you're using a timed wait, the
window just stops, has to be closed and reopened to get anything out of it.
If using just WAIT, it doesn't count till the change of the minute, just drops
straight to DOS.

Also discovered that Lynx will not even load it.  I'm _so_ glad I ARCed my
2.22 directory before installing it!

Regards, Paul.