[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OCR Software for Scanjet

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (02/22/89)

Can anyone give me suggestions on OCR SW for the HP Scanjet?
How is HP's ReadRight package?

Thanks,
cris

||   Gee, do you think it'd help if I plugged in both ends of this cable?   ||
Cris Simpson              Computer Engineer               VA Rehab R&D Center
                        GATech      Atlanta,GA
  is813cs@pyr.gatech.edu           ...!{Almost Anywhere}!gatech!gitpyr!is813cs

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (02/22/89)

In article <7336@pyr.gatech.EDU> is813cs@pyr.gatech.edu (Cris Simpson) writes:
>Can anyone give me suggestions on OCR SW for the HP Scanjet?
>How is HP's ReadRight package?

	ReadRight can only read fixed-space fonts around 11 - 13 points.
Pica and Courier seems to work fine, and maybe Roman (such as the NLQ type
from Epson FX printers).  For a program that can read proportional spaced
fonts, FlagStff Engineering's SPOT is a good choice.  It'll "learn"
whatever font you have (sufficiently dark, of course).  Only problem is
that it's a bit on the pricey side (~ $1,000).  So it all depends on what
your needs are.
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (02/23/89)

In article <3310@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> I wrote:

>	ReadRight can only read fixed-space fonts around 11 - 13 points.
>Pica and Courier seems to work fine, and maybe Roman (such as the NLQ type
>from Epson FX printers).  For a program that can read proportional spaced
>fonts, FlagStff Engineering's SPOT is a good choice.  It'll "learn"
>whatever font you have (sufficiently dark, of course).  Only problem is
>that it's a bit on the pricey side (~ $1,000).  So it all depends on what
>your needs are.

	Somebody disagreed with me about the capability of ReadRight to
read proportional space fonts, so I'll try to elaborate more on that.
According to the manual, ReadRight "can read a range of point sizes and
pitches -- 6 to 12 points and 10 to 15 pitch"  You mileage may vary here.
And here's a list of fonts that ReadRight supports:

	MONOSPACED			PROPORTIONALLY SPACED
	Courier				bold
	Pica				Cubic
	Elite				Roman/Madeleine
	Prestige Pica			Title
	Prestige Elite			Modern
	Letter Gothic			Thesis
	OCR-B				Theme
	Bookface Academic		Arcadia
	Prestige Renown/Style		Gothic/Victory
					Majestic
-----
Problem is that most of your laser-printed fonts aren't supported.  The
manual states:
	"Laser printer fonts, such as Hewlett-Packard LaserJet and
	LaserJet+ fonts and Canon fonts, are supported as long as
	they are very similar to fonts included in the tables above.
	Examples include Courier, Elite, pica, and Letter Gothic.  Fonts
	similar to typeset fonts -- Helvetica, Times Roman, and others --
	are not supported at present but will be in the future."

I apologize here if anybody's led to believe that ReadRight's totally
incapable of reading ANY proportional spaced fonts.  If you want to read
laser-printed fonts such as Times Roman and Helvetica, you are still out of
luck.