[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Writing/formatting 360k disks on 1.2M drive

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (02/23/89)

My AT-clone writes 360k disks (on a 1.2M drive) that cannot be read by my
XT-clone, even though I formatted the disks on the XT.  I have heard that
this is a common problem.  Pardon me if this issue has already been
discussed on this newsgroup, but I have not seen the solution since I've
been reading.  Is there a driver that can fix the problem?

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638
	Atlanta, GA

tchu@bbn.com (Tom Chu) (02/23/89)

Regarding formatting/writing 360K on 1.2M. There is a problem with doing this,
and it can vary from machine to machine (i.e. formatting/writing 360K on a 1.2M
floppy can be by one 360K floppy but not another one).However, the 1.2M floppy
drive used to format/write the 360K floppy will usually be able to read/write
the floppy.

About PC magazines, what are the opinions out there on the best IBM PC magazine
in the newstands ?

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (02/24/89)

In article <3347@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>My AT-clone writes 360k disks (on a 1.2M drive) that cannot be read by my
>XT-clone, even though I formatted the disks on the XT.

This is the problem.  Bulk-erase two disks, a regular DS/DS disk, and a
high-density disk.  Format both for 360K on the AT.  Write the same
data to both on the AT.  It's a 99.99% chance that your XT will be able
to read at least one of them.

The bulk-erase part is important.  You can bulk-erase a disk by keeping
it in its jacket and stroking it with a magnet thoroughly in many
different directions.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi
                    ARPA:  bsu-cs!dhesi@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu