[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Does no docs mean stolen?

lane@cs.dal.ca (John Wright/Dr. Pat Lane) (02/24/89)

An original poster who's name's been lost innocently asked for help getting
documentation for something he'd aquired that came without.

In article <117@psgdc> rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) writes:
>In article <8400010@gistdev>, dlp@gistdev.UUCP writes:
>> *FLAME ON*	If you don't like flames, skip this note.
>> [high class flame text deleted]
>> *FLAME OFF; CONTINUE SMOLDERING*
>
>Nice flame. Why don't people understand that acquiring computer equipment
>or software is no different than other aspects of life in general; you don't
>always get what you pay for, but you *never* get what you don't pay for!

Ridiculous flame, if you ask me (I know, you didn't :-).  I am involved with
a business that resells and rents out used and re-possesed equipment.  We
have an arrangement with a recovery agent who picks up stuff from businesses
that have gone backrupt or have defaulted on a lease (he knowns enough to
ask for any documentation, etc.).  As well there is a government disposal
agency and people bring in stuff off the street.  In all cases, there is
frequently no documentation to be had and we have to go tracking it down
(usually by calling dealers and manufacturer's who are thankfully co-oper-
ative in most cases...they certainly don't assume that the stuff is stolen).
It's incredible how people can loose that stuff.  Maybe people who are being
re-possessed hide the docs, etc. out of spite, I don't know, but it happens.
The government disposal agency almost never gets the docs for what they sell.
In fact, the policy seems to be that the office that originally had the equip.
has to keep the docs on file even after they get rid of the equip.

I would certainly not assume that anyone who has something without
documentation has stolen goods.

--
John Wright      //////////////////     Phone:  902-424-3805  or  902-424-6527
Post: c/o Dr Pat Lane, Biology Dept, Dalhousie U, Halifax N.S., CANADA B3H-4H8